New to fish keeping.

Most likely. New tanks usually have a bacteria bloom that can make the water cloudy for the first several days. Then it will clear up. It could also be some residual dust from the substrate that the filter will sort out.
I've also stopped sticking my arm in the tank for now lol

Do I have space for Long-Finned Red Minor Tetra, Panda Cories/Albino Cories, and Honey Gourami?

I would not keep red minor tetras (aka serpae tetras) with gouramis. These are just about the nippiest tetra species in the hobby and gouramis would be targets. The usual recommendation is to have a least 12 as then they are supposed to keep the nippiness within their own group, but I would still not recommend them in anything but a species-only tank.

There a lot of other tetras, your tank would be less trouble if you chose a different species.

I would not keep red minor tetras (aka serpae tetras) with gouramis. These are just about the nippiest tetra species in the hobby and gouramis would be targets. The usual recommendation is to have a least 12 as then they are supposed to keep the nippiness within their own group, but I would still not recommend them in anything but a species-only tank.

There a lot of other tetras, your tank would be less trouble if you chose a different species.
Ah, thanks. They are a very pretty fish either way. How about Lamp-Eye?
Edit: Or Black Skirt Tetra?

Black skirt/black widow tetras also have a bit of a reputation but not nearly as bad as red minors. Again it is recommended to have a group of at least 10 of them.

How do you feed about harlequin rasboras? One of the least nippy fish out there ;)

Those rasboras are really pretty! I would definitely get some if they were in my LFS, but I don't think they are. I'm still figuring out how I feel about ordering fish and where I would order fish from.

Those rasboras are really pretty! I would definitely get some if they were in my LFS, but I don't think they are. I'm still figuring out how I feel about ordering fish and where I would order fish from.
Ask your lfs if they would special order some fish in for you

If I wanted to top off my tank would I dechlorinate the water I put in?

What's the hang up with ordering fish? Definitely make sure it's a reliable source so you don't get ripped off and hopefully they treat the fish well, but if it's about having them shipped to you, then don't have a hang up about that. How do you think the fish get to the stores? Every fish you buy from a chain store or your local fish store has been shipped there. If it's about avoiding disease, most fish stores have their tanks hooked up a shared filter system, which spreads disease like wildfire. Also lots of cross contamination between tanks from shared nets and things. Whether you get fish from a store or online, quarantining is essential.

There is something reassuring about going into your LFS and being able to see and pick out the fish in person, I get that. The big box chain stores probably won't be willing to order in specific fish for you, although you could ask - it probably depends on who does their ordering - but most mom and pop privately owned fish stores are willing to order in the fish you want. Especially if it's a commonly kept fish that will no doubt sell, like harlequin rasboras. I've never been into a store that doesn't have a tank full of harlequins, they're so popular in the hobby because of their nice looks and peaceful nature. Also don't forget that their stocking will change pretty often. My LFS has different fish in all the time, it just depends on what's selling and what they can get. Go often to browse, check if they have a FB page that updates when they get new stock, stuff like that.

Also consider joining local hobby clubs. Difficult to do the usual meet ups what with a pandemic and all, but most still 'meet' online, and finding fish bred by a local breeder is one of the best ways to get new fish. Generally healthier and also acclimated to your water. Making friends with other hobbyists helps you connect with who in your area is breeding and selling. r/aquaswap on reddit is also brilliant for fish, plants and equipment in the US, I wish we had a better page like that for the UK.

Most reactions

Back