New tanks, suggestions please :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joshpuff

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m getting a 200 litre tropical tank delivered soon (Fluval Roma 200)

I have a 450litre community tank (kitty tetras, ember tetras, guppy’s, rummy noses, bristlenoses etc etc).

This new tank I am looking at getting a single, larger fish (around 15cm adult size give or take), to house on its own in the new 200litre.

Having looked I am only finding extra large fish or small fish which would be tiny in the 200litre, can’t see anything in my bracket.

Anyone suggest a single fish that would really thrive in this tank and look great at the same time?

TIA

Before anyone can suggest fish one needs to know what your source water is like. If you have hard water and high pH then you would likely want to start with fish that do well in that sort of water, guppies, some african cichlids, etc. I you have soft water and lower pH you might want to start with some of the South American cichlids, tetras etc. It is easier to keep a tank that has water needs that match your source water chemistry. You can keep tanks that don't match your water but it is more work an expense and requires more care on your part. For example you can use RO water to make your water softer, or add minerals to your water to make it harder.

If your water is appropriate I always thought pearl gouramis to be nice, I don't keep them anymore but in the right conditions they develop really nice colors and they are frequently at the front of the tank.

If your location of Ayr is in Scotland, your hardness will be available on Scottish Water's website, though they don't make it easy to find.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back