New tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rosietoo

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm hoping to buy a new tank soon. I'm thinking about a Juwel rekord 120 - it comes with heater, light and filter system.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have an air pump or not - what does it do?

Also, I've heard several of you mentioning an airstone, what does that do, is it a seperate thing all together?

V confused! :blink:

An air pump provides air pressure underwater via a small tube. This makes bubbles that rise in the tank, causing surface disturbance which helps with oxygen transfer into the water. If you like to see bubbles in your tank, get one. There are dozens of air powered little gadgets that you can put in the tank if you like that sort of thing. They are also used to power sponge filters.

Tolak

I have a Juwel Rekord 96. You can get a Juwel attachment for more air but I haven't and there seems to be plenty of movement in the water. :)

Oh, I see! So it's a 'nice to have' rather than an essential? sorry for being a bit dimm, have never had a proper tank before! :fun:

rosie,

I haven't found that Juwel filters to be all that effective, they gunk up quite quickly and the white top filter pad often blocks completely. For them to work properly you need to make sure your tank is absolutely flat as well, as the filter inlets are very close to the water line.

cash allowing, you might want to invest in an additional filter of some kind to run alongside the Juwel. Personally, I'd go for an external canister filter of some description, easy to clean, and doesn't leak pollution back into the tank when you do clean it.

Nik

Nik_boyd said:
I haven't found that Juwel filters to be all that effective, they gunk up quite quickly and the white top filter pad often blocks completely. For them to work properly you need to make sure your tank is absolutely flat as well, as the filter inlets are very close to the water line.
i dissagree!!!!my jewel has always been fine it gets cleaned once a week and never gunks up or anything :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back