New tank

Biker 24

Reaction score
Hi all
I collected my new juwel Lido 120 tank and stand yesterday and Iā€™ve started to set it up today,
the filter box was already fitted, And it looks to me that there is a false section on the bottom that doesn't seem to do much, The filter measures just under 50cm high overall and is 1cm above the floor of the glass, itā€™s a Bioflow M, The advert photos I have seen all show the filter to be around 15cm above the glass, it seems a bit wasteful of filter space to me, And could have been used for extra media,
If anybody knows about this please let me know, Thanks in advance..

I just downloaded and read your manual, there are "optional" sections of filter media that may not be installed. Have you checked if that is what the space is?

I just downloaded and read your manual, there are "optional" sections of filter media that may not be installed. Have you checked if that is what the space is?
Itā€™s not the optional sections of the filter I am talking about, I have filed the bottom of my filter with bio balls anyway, there is a part of the filter, about four inches that seems to be hollow and is not used, there seems to be a joint, page 20 of the manual is wrong my filter box is about four inches longer and is about half inch above the base, see photo
2C7025D7-020A-406E-9F72-65F613892956.jpeg

Wow that is strange... Sounds like you made good use of the space though! Sorry I cant be more help.

Is there a vent in the unused section?
I'm thinking it filters from the bottom up; so sucks dirty water in at the bottom, goes up through the filter media and sends the filtered water out at the top? That's the design on my Juwel Rios. They have plenty of room for two baskets of media. And my substrate is deeper so I don't have a 1cm gap underneath which will be difficult to keep clean.

There isnā€™t any vents on the outside of the filter, but before I put the soil in I felt under the filter and couldn't feel the base , in the photo you can see a line on the filter, that is the bottom of the inside of the filter.

There isnā€™t any vents on the outside of the filter, but before I put the soil in I felt under the filter and couldn't feel the base , in the photo you can see a line on the filter, that is the bottom of the inside of the filter.
OK, it's very different to mine then.
@Essjay, you had Juwel's, please can you have a look?

That does sound odd.

Juwel filters usually draw the water in at the top, down through the media than across into the heater section, up past the heater and out into the tank at the top.
The filter which comes with new Lido 120s is a Bioflow M. It should have slits at the top just above the media and slits at the bottom into the heater section. There should not be an empty section at the bottom; the media holders should sit almost to the bottom inside the filter.

@Biker 24 Did you buy the tank brand new or is it second hand? If it's second hand, did the previous owner change the filter? Or if it's brand new, I wonder if Juwel have changed the filter from the one on the website?

I've not had a Juwel tank since 2014, and I removed the built in filter shortly after I got it, but I think there was only a very small gap between the filter and the bottom of the tank. I remember pushing the gravel up to it to stop fish getting stuck underneath.

L
That does sound odd.

Juwel filters usually draw the water in at the top, down through the media than across into the heater section, up past the heater and out into the tank at the top.
The filter which comes with new Lido 120s is a Bioflow M. It should have slits at the top just above the media and slits at the bottom into the heater section. There should not be an empty section at the bottom; the media holders should sit almost to the bottom inside the filter.

@Biker 24 Did you buy the tank brand new or is it second hand? If it's second hand, did the previous owner change the filter? Or if it's brand new, I wonder if Juwel have changed the filter from the one on the website?

I've not had a Juwel tank since 2014, and I removed the built in filter shortly after I got it, but I think there was only a very small gap between the filter and the bottom of the tank. I remember pushing the gravel up to it to stop fish getting stuck underneath.
Hi Essjay
I Bought the tank with a stand brand new, and as I said in a previous post after I felt underneath the filter it didnā€™t feel like the filter had a bottom plate, it seems to me to be wasteful of filter space, in the photo you can see the line about 15cm above the bottom glass, I was wondering should I try to remove that section but there is nothing in the manual telling you to do so.

If you bought it new you could talk to the store and say it doesn't match the manual and is a possible defect.

Your filter doesn't sound the same as in the Rio I had - bought around 2007, so that's a fair time ago, long enough for Juwel to revamp the filter. Your description does match Juwel's website either so they may have changed the filter but not updated the website. The Lido 120 is a taller tank than the Rio 125 so there should be a bigger gap underneath the filter.

The filter should have a bottom plate or the water will be sucked straight in there and up through the heater chamber, completely bypassing the media.
Is there a base anywhere inside the filter, even a few cm up from the bottom of the casing? Maybe remove the media and shine a torch down to see?

The filter in my Rio was so noisy I removed it and bought a different filter - it was underneath our bedroom and it was so loud it stopped me sleeping! If you are concerned about the filter in your tank, that may be an option for you, though an added expense.

As I have said there is a internal bottom plate in the filter about 15cm above the outside of the box so it looks to me to be a hollow section there just to fill the gap that would be there otherwise.

It does look very much that way. The Rio I used to have was 8 cm shorter than the Lido so the filter reached almost to the bottom of the tank and the small gap under it was filled with substrate. Maybe Juwel thought the Lido would look better if the filter filled the entire vertical space like the other tanks so they attached a blanking section to the bottom of the filter.

I think thatā€™s the reason for the false piece as well, Still it does seem a waste of filter space,They could have just supplied a bigger filter, anyway I have left a question on the juwel site about lt, So I am now waiting to see if they reply, My plants arrived today so I better get planting, Many thanks.

Most reactions

Back