New tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

candrews999

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have bought a 2nd hand jewel vision 180 with internal filter and am currently cycling it. If i was to run my old filter in it temporarily could i transfer my fish immediately? Thanks all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

you will have to run the old established filter on the new tank for at least a month while the bacteria develop in the new filter. Alternatively take half the filter materials from the old established filter and put them in the new filter. Then add fish.

Ah right so either way i can add the fish straight away? Thanks for the advice

You can add fish straight away if you have the established filter or half the filter material in the new tank, and as long as the water in the new tank has been dechlorinated and aerated for at least 24 hours.

So if you set the tank up, add dechlorinator and aerate it for 24+ hours, then put the established filter on it and go get some fish for the tank :)

Do you intend moving all your fish over? And do you intend keeping your existing tank running?
If the answer is yes to moving all the fish, and no to keeping the current tank running, just move all your current media over into the new tank and at the same time move all the fish across.
But if you intend leaving some fish in the current tank, or keeping the current tank running for new fish, follow Colin's advice.

Do you intend moving all your fish over? And do you intend keeping your existing tank running?
If the answer is yes to moving all the fish, and no to keeping the current tank running, just move all your current media over into the new tank and at the same time move all the fish across.
But if you intend leaving some fish in the current tank, or keeping the current tank running for new fish, follow Colin's advice.
Yes I'm moving everything from my 55 litre to the new 180litre and closing ghe 55 litre down. And i can then get more fish [emoji4]

In that case, move all your current media into the Juwel's filter. They are big filters so they should take your old media even if you end up cutting a chunk of a Juwel sponge to make space.
If you are doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, you need to remove any ammonia from the tank with a big water change, then move the media over, then any decor you want to keep, then the fish, then close the old tank.
Wait for a week or so to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite and then get more fish, a few at a time as for fish-in cycling. You don't want to overload the bacteria by getting too many new fish in one go.

Yes I'm moving everything from my 55 litre to the new 180litre and closing ghe 55 litre down.
You may want to put an extra sponge filter into your new tank. That way when you decide that you want to use the 55 as a second tank you won't have to wait so long for it to cycle :whistle:

You may want to put an extra sponge filter into your new tank. That way when you decide that you want to use the 55 as a second tank you won't have to wait so long for it to cycle :whistle:
Good plan I hadn't thought of that [emoji848]

In that case, move all your current media into the Juwel's filter. They are big filters so they should take your old media even if you end up cutting a chunk of a Juwel sponge to make space.
If you are doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, you need to remove any ammonia from the tank with a big water change, then move the media over, then any decor you want to keep, then the fish, then close the old tank.
Wait for a week or so to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite and then get more fish, a few at a time as for fish-in cycling. You don't want to overload the bacteria by getting too many new fish in one go.
I think it will easily take all the media from my old filter. I've got to decide what fish i want yet so knowing me will be a slow process anyway!! I was thinking of a couple of female dwarf gouramis to keep my male company?
Thanks for the great advice

So they've moved in and settled nicely [emoji16]
b722bcf49e8429f79be1d36e4e0d826c.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back