new tank

kittybug

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
well i decided this morning i couldnt wait for my birthday in august to get a new tank. My hubby is getting me a 90g then so i figured he would go for a little 2 G or so for the desk in our office. well i went to the petsmart and they had the 2.5 mini bows for 25 bucks and right next to them 5 G top fin aquascenes on sale for 30 bucks. no big decision there. only downside was had to come home and rearange some furniture to make room for the twice as big tank. Cant wait to put a betta in. Also any suggestions on tank mates would be nice. im thinking some ghost shrimp and maybe a few frogs

I have a 3 gallon and currently have 2 ADFs (African Dwarf Frogs) in with my betta and they get along fine! I put the dwarf frogs in first to cycle the tank. I've also heard that if a betta is in a tank first by himself, he may have territorial issues when other mates are added because he has already established his territory. Whereas if you add the betta AFTER there are already other things in the tank, he may not be quite so territorial. Like I said, so far everything is going fine!

Diana

Does the extremely territorial problem still occur if you're using dividers in the tank? (Such as 3 or 4 particians in a 10 gallon, one betta for each one?)

I'm going to use a pair of bettas to cycle the tank because well, not much choice really :) I have to treat the tank *anyway*. Ugh. A nightmare, but still pleasant since it deals with my fishies ;)

Becca

imo the dividers that i have seen really dont work. although the bettas cant get to each other to fight i often see them looking right at each other through the divider and trying to get through. they could just be watching each other though. i personally wouldnt use one but a 10 gallon is much larger then my 5 and if you used some plants or something to help hide the males from each other it would most likely be ok.

Hmm, I'd debate the idea that dividers may cause problems. I've had two bettas in a 5 gal with a divider down the middle, and they've been quite active and happy for nearly two years now (and they were those poor wal-mart ones too, grown out nicely). :nod:

Most reactions

Back