"New" tank

crittermom

Reaction score
I'm going to totally trash my 20-gallon tank (all the fish died when I put a certain water conditioner in it) and start over again with it. I saw a gorgeous tank at a PetsMart that had the look of a marine tank (sand in the bottom and marine decorations) but stocked with cichlids. I would love to have a tank like that but am reading posts on the forums saying that cichlids don't do well in 20-gallon tanks. (Phooey) I usually keep live-bearers (guppies, mollies, swords, platys) but would like to try something different. Any ideas? Any advice? Thanks in advance. (As I posted on the Newbie board, I've been keeping fish for many years but not doing all of the stuff I'm reading about, and we've done fine. It's only since I decided to follow the rules that I've had trouble... :lol: )

What about some dwarf cichlids then. (Apistogrammas) or if you live in the UK there's some nice Neolamprologus brichardi going cheap in the Buy & Sell section of this forum.

Well, first off, my personal recommendation is to stay away from fine sand, it is a pain to keep clean and it clogs filters, now a fine white gravel or crushed coral would give the same effect but easier to keep. As for colour in that size I agree with dwarfs, you could also try dwarf gouramis or rainbows, tetras are a nice offset as well. As for dwarf cichlids try things like kribensis, apisto cacatuoides or apisto viejita.

Toadfish said:
Well, first off, my personal recommendation is to stay away from fine sand, it is a pain to keep clean and it clogs filters, now a fine white gravel or crushed coral would give the same effect but easier to keep. As for colour in that size I agree with dwarfs, you could also try dwarf gouramis or rainbows, tetras are a nice offset as well. As for dwarf cichlids try things like kribensis, apisto cacatuoides or apisto viejita.
[snapback]896598[/snapback]​

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back