New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mikea

Reaction score
Hi.

I just went to my local fish store and purchased 9 baby cichlids and 2 plecos. They live in a 55g hexagon tank. I have a fluval 204 filter system, as well as an under gravel system. I've got a second fluval I can add if needed (from an older tank, but contains new media..)

I have since read about cyling and whatnot, and am a bit worried. The fish have been doing okay since last sunday. I've been doing amonia tests daily and they've been coming up at 0.

So far the fish seem happy and very active. A friend of mine recommended I put "bio-balls" into the empty area on my current fluval to kick-start the bacteria growth. Will this help? Are my tiny friends doomed to die a painful death at a very young age?

- Mike

P.S.

I maintained my parents fishtank for several years w/ africans, however it was always stable and never had any bio related problems.

Hi mikea. Welcome to the forum. :)

IMO, a fluval 204 isn't adequate enough filtration for a 55g. I recommend a minimum of turning the tank over at least 4 times an hour. I would add the second fluval you have.

have since read about cyling and whatnot, and am a bit worried. The fish have been doing okay since last sunday. I've been doing amonia tests daily and they've been coming up at 0.

So far the fish seem happy and very active. A friend of mine recommended I put "bio-balls" into the empty area on my current fluval to kick-start the bacteria growth. Will this help? Are my tiny friends doomed to die a painful death at a very young age?

This is where I'm a bit confused. More my fault than yours, I'm sure, but does this mean you got the tank and added the fish w/o cycling it beforehand?

I can't really add much good advice until I know if it's cycled or not so I'll wait for your reply and then we can go from there. :) Also, it helps the others here to help you because they are some very intelligent keepers also and hopefully they'll chime in with their thoughts, questions and answers also. :)

By the way.. I don't know exactly which types of cichlids I have.. After searching on the net I've found that I have two "Electric Yellows" and one convict.. The rest I am unsure of.

Here's some shots from my digital camera:

http://homepage.mac.com/mikea/PhotoAlbum1.html

smb said:
Hi mikea. Welcome to the forum. :)

IMO, a fluval 204 isn't adequate enough filtration for a 55g. I recommend a minimum of turning the tank over at least 4 times an hour. I would add the second fluval you have.

have since read about cyling and whatnot, and am a bit worried. The fish have been doing okay since last sunday. I've been doing amonia tests daily and they've been coming up at 0.

This is where I'm a bit confused. More my fault than yours, I'm sure, but does this mean you got the tank and added the fish w/o cycling it beforehand?

I can't really add much good advice until I know if it's cycled or not so I'll wait for your reply and then we can go from there. :) Also, it helps the others here to help you because they are some very intelligent keepers also and hopefully they'll chime in with their thoughts, questions and answers also. :)
I've got no problem adding the 2nd fluval. And no, the tank ran for about 24 hours before I put the fish in.

Thanks for the help

really all I can say at this point is this...........the bio-balls will do no good unless they are coming from an established tank and contain beneficial bacteria colonies.

Placing new bio-balls in the filter is just like placing any new filter media in your filter....no benfit whatsoever.

Click on the links in smb/Alien Anna's signature on fishless cycling to explain the nitrogenm process or tank cycling.

This will explain everything.

CM

cichlidmaster said:
Click on the links in smb/Alien Anna's signature on fishless cycling to explain the nitrogenm process or tank cycling.

This will explain everything.

CM
But I can't do fishless cycling due to the fact that there's already 11 fish in the tank. Is there anything that I can do to make the cycling less stressful and dangerous on the fish?

Could I buy this bactera from a fish store? maybe getting a galon or so of their water would help?

Also,

would anybody be able to tell me what type of cichlids the bright orange (goldfish looking), albino, and the grey/orange fish I have are? (see link above)

Thanks!

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gredzebra.html

The bright orange one looks like a "Red Zebra" (Pseudotropheus estherae) And the albino one is just the albino version of this fish.

Looks like I've also got a Ziare Yellow (Julidochromis ornatus)(not shown in pictures). This fish is from Lake Tanganyika, and the others from Lake Malawi. Is this going to be a problem?

Here's pictures of the other yet-to-be-named fish

http://homepage.mac.com/mikea/.Pictures/fish5.JPG (orange stripes?)

http://homepage.mac.com/mikea/.Pictures/fish6.jpg (blue/grey stripes)

http://homepage.mac.com/mikea/.Pictures/fish7.jpg (white)

You can see more pics at http://homepage.mac.com/mikea/

Hi, sorry you didn't get the right advice about cycling the tank before adding the fish. Cycling with fish is a bit hairy but can be done. I just hope you've got some good buckets and strong arms - all those water changes are going to be hard work :(

Anyway, follow the link in my sig and read all about it. It includes instructions for how to speed up the cycling time and hopefully not lose any fish. The fish at most risk are your plecos - if you can temporarily house those in a cycled tank that would probably help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back