New tank, stocking help pls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lisaevans130280

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have bought a new tank, the Fluval Edge 46L, and would like advise on whether what Ive picked is suitable and OK to have in it, as i believe the design isn't great for all fish.

There will be the ornaments as shown below (maybe not all of them needed?) plus some plants and sand.

I have planned on the following fish:
Endlers or Ember Tetras - 6 of them?
Guppies - 2 of them?
Shrimp - no idea how many...5?

Is this a nice amount/mix of fish? Any ideas welcome, its for my 9yr old daughter and she really wants bright coloured and/or interesting fish.

Many thanks for any advice.

s-l1600.jpg

First thing we need to know is your source water parameters. This is the tap water, on its own. Parameters refers to the GH (general or total hardness) which is the most important, the pH, the KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity), and temperature. You obviously can control the latter, so no issue there. The KH is not so important depending upon the GH and pH. So if you could give us the GH and pH f your tap water, we are set to go with fish ideas. Check the web site of your municipal water authority, it may give this data there, or call them.

While waiting for that, if the GH turns out to be on the hard side, guppies are one option, or the smaller Endler Livebearer. With guppies especially, males only, or you will bee inundated with fry and not all will get eaten. Probably a good idea to have only males with Endlers too. Males of these fish are the more colourful. And shrimp, though I will leave species to those who have shrimp. Endlers are unlikely to eat grown shrimp, guppies I'm not sure about.

If the water is softer, Ember Tetras would be better, or a similar fish one of the dwarf rasbora species in Boraras. Larger groups of whichever, say 12 or so, would be better. And shrimp, again with advice of others on species; there are some that manage in softer water.

What are your parameters?
Here's what I think about stocking:

1. 6 endlers would do well. Or ember tetras.
  2. What genders? A boy and a girl is unsuitable, one male needs at least 2 or 3. All males or all females will work, but if you're just having one sex in the tank, you might want male guppies because they are more colorful. You can have multiple males in the same tank as long as there's enough females.
  3. 5 shrimp is not usually enough to start a colony. Try 10.
  4. The fish are quite small and won't eat adult shrimp, but they won't be able to reproduce because they'll eat the babies.

While not an absolute, Endlers do better with a bit of salt in the water, about 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons.

I keep mine in brackish water with my Bumblebee gobys, Endler fry make great goby food.

While not an absolute, Endlers do better with a bit of salt in the water, about 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons.

I keep mine in brackish water with my Bumblebee gobys, Endler fry make great goby food.

Not sure where you got this idea, but salt is not necessary for Endlers except to deal with ich or similar diseases. Over time the salt will harm these fish, as I set out in my article on salt (which has Neale Monks seal of approval, lol):
http://wetwebmedia.com/SaltArtHosking.htm

Obviously, putting Endlers in a goby tank to provide food is different from keeping them healthy on their own, but I still do not recommend harming them just because of this.

@Byron
Like I said while its not an absolute.

In their native Venezuelan coastal lagoons, Endlers are often exposed to salt water from the nearby sea, so evolved to tolerate and even thrive in salt water environments. In fact, there have been reports they can withstand salinity levels up to 150% of normal seawater. And they breed in both fresh water and marine conditions.

PS
When I say Endlers I am only speaking of the pure N class, If its not N class its a Guppy.

Last edited:
I will find time to read the paper linked in post #9, so for the moment my comments do not take into account any data from this paper.

As for the article linked by Nick in post #8 I have some concerns. First, I decide whether to accept or disregard data on any internet fish site when the author identifies him/herself and provided this individual is knowledgeable. Anyone can set up web sites and pose as "experts" with no reliable basis. I am not saying the "Joseph" who seems to administer that Endler site is not knowledgeable, but I do question the "salt" information.

Schories et al. (2009) determined that Endler's Livebearer is the species Poecilia wingei is now unequivocally defined by the molecular phylogeny as a valid distinct species from the guppy, P. reticulata. A third distinct "guppy" species is described from Trinidad (Schories et al, 2009). The three guppy species have been placed in the sub-genus Acanthophacelus that is considered to be generically different from all other taxa in the Poeciliinae subfamily.

It was not until 2005 that the species was scientifically described as a distinct species by F.N. Poeser, M. Kempkes & I.J.H. Isbrucker. The genus name Poecilia comes from the Greek poikilos meaning "with different colours" and the species epithet honours the ichthyologist Dr. Ojvind Winge. Poeser et al. (2005) proposed re-establishing the genus name Acanthophacelus, originally erected by Eigenmann in 1907 and subsequently deemed a synonym for Poecilia, as a sub-genus of Poecilia. As mentioned above, Schories et al. (2009) have followed this provisional sub-classification for the (now) three guppy species on the basis of generic differences from the other species in the subfamily.

The common name "Endler's Guppy" honours John Endler who "discovered" the species in 1975, although it was actually first discovered in 1937 by Franklin Bond. The species is feared to be extinct in the habitat lake in which it was discovered due to pollution from garbage. A second possible site was mentioned by Dr. Endler but he was unable to find it. Schories et al. (2009) document this species occurring in the Cumana region.

Seriously Fish accepts this species to be endemic to Campoma and Buena Vista coastal lagoons in NE Venezuela. The source for the type specimens is a warm freshwater lake with hard, alkaline water on the Paria Peninsula. This paragraph is from the profile of the Endler on Seriously Fish, a site owned and run by a trained ichthytologist, and to which biologists contribute:

Laguna de Patos (the type locality for the species) was originally a brackish lake which was formed by being cut off from the ocean by a sandbar. Over time the water has been altered by runoff and is now freshwater. When P. wingei was rediscovered the lake contained very warm, hard water which was very green due to high concentrations of algae. The fish are now thought to be extinct here as a garbage dump has been built adjacent to the lake and the water has since become polluted.

Occurs in fresh waters in the Campoma and Buena Vista lagoons unto Carupano, in northeastern Venezuela.​

I believe both lagoons are now cut off from the ocean, and water is solely rain runoff. I would like someone to explain how an influx of sea water (bringing salt) can occur to land-locked lagoons?

Regardless of all that, most of the Endlers today are commercially raised; the original species may even be extinct in its habitat. I cannot be certain, but I suspect the commercial breeders are using fresh, not brackish, water.

The fact that any species can "manage" with certain water chemistry does not mean it would not be better if not forced into such water. Thrive rather than survive. There is no question that salt does impact all freshwater species, as I pointed out in my article I linked previously. Making life more difficult, however minimally, for our fish should not be our aim. There is no reason mollies should ever be kept in brackish or full marine water, even though they appear to at least "manage." I guess the bottom line is that it is not necessary to provide salt for these fish to have them in good health, and if not necessary, then better avoided.

Last edited:
In general guppies and endlers are not compatible with ember tetra, with the the tetras doing best in soft water, and the guppies and enders needing at least slightly hard water.

I have also heard reports of large female guppies attacking even adults of the slightly smaller male cherry shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back