New Tank, Need Suggestions!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tim95

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 36 Gallon aquarium, 3' long, 19'' tall, 12 1/2'' wide, I need some suggestions on what kind of combinations I could work out. I have a Male Betta in the tank at the moment, he is very docile and doesnt seem to care about what is around him, I don't want anythnig that will nip or harm him. the tank is moderatle planted, heated, with caves and a large piece of driftwood. Some fish I want to incorporate include Dojo or Kuhli loachs, Otos, Black Skirt Tertras, White Clouds, or Harlequin Rasporas, as shoaling fish, and possibly Peacock Gudgeons, Anything that would work well with these will also be considered. I also love odd ball fish, especially eels, but I don't want anything that will out grow my tank, or that is aggressive towards other fish.

I was looking at having 2 shoals of 8-12 fish,  but big shoal of 20 fish may also be interesting. I was also looking at getting 6 Kuhlis, or 4 Dojo, a group of 6-8 Otos.

Thanks

mabey some dainos or neon tetras? I know there not oddballs but large groups of neons are very pretty.

Dojo loaches get too big for your tank. They need a 55g.
Zebra danios & white clouds prefer cooler temps than your betta would be comfortable with.

I have no idea if Peacock Gudgeons would be compatible or not, mine certainly doesn't seem nippy at all. Very beautiful fish.
I also love my khuli loaches, don't think they'd give the betta a problem either.

Otocinclus are often used for tankmates for bettas, but can be rather sensitive.

What kind of substrate do you have?

Is your water hard or soft, and what is your pH? <-- I can't really suggest things based on those as I don't know enough, but more knowledgeable members may find that information useful to help you find something suitable.

My only problem with the Gudgeons is I've never seen them at any of my LFS. 
I am not interested in Danios, I had them in resent tanks and do not fancy them, I have a couple neons at the moment in a smaller tank, so they are also out,
the water is quiet hard at the moment, but I'm sure it can be adjusted,
it is a sand substrate,
I have a couple Kuhlis in a tank that is to small for them, so I think I will be getting them some new friends and adding them to the larger tank, I'm sure they would love it. 
I'm also interested in any small Catfish, I know Pectricola Cats get about 4'' long, and my LFS has them at a cheap price compared to those I've seen reported by other people. I can't seem to find anything on tankmates other then cichlids, which I am avoiding. Wondering if there are any other catfish that could work? Pictus is out.

I've also had Oto in the past without problems, so I don't see why they wouldn't work with what I want to do

Ah okay, not sure if you're up to ordering online or not.
Moving the khulis sounds like a great idea, I'm sure they'll love their new space & buddies!
Why not some corydoras? They'll need to be the same type though, not sure which ones you'd be interested in. There are some very small ones like pygmy, hastatus, and habrosus.

I've never had otos, just heard some people have issues getting them to eat algae wafers once they run out of algae in their tank.

What website would you recommend ordering from?
I was thinking Corydoras, but wasn't sure if they would work with the Kuhlis, though I have never heard of Kuhlis being aggressive towards other bottom Dwellers. I like the look of the Peppered Cory, just wondering, but why must they all be of the same type?

What size groups do the Gudgeon's like being kept in?

Aquabid, bobstropicalplants, liveaquaria, wetspottropicalfish are all sites I've heard good things about.

I have cories with my khuli loaches, no issues :) Peppers get I think 4", not sure if you want any of that size or not.
They need groups of 6+ is why they should be with their own type.

I've heard of gudgeons being kept in pairs and trios, although currently mine is just being kept single. Trying to find a male for her.

Okay, 4'' is fine,  and okay, I was thinking of getting 8.

LiveAquaria has Gudgeons for 14.99 each, pretty pricey! Think I'll hold off on them for now, but I will definately by them if I ever see them at any of my LFS

They're 12$ at my LFS, so not far off, but yeah, bit expensive!

I think I'm going to try to get one of my LFS to order them in for me, I love how they look, I'm sure they would be fine with what I have and what I'm looking at getting, 

If you are gonna keep the betta in the tank I would stay away from:

Mollies
Guppies
Goldfish &
Clownfish

Some fish that I find will work great with the betta are:

Pakistani Loaches
Ghost Shrimp
Bristlenose Pleckos
Neon Tetras
African Dwarf Frogs
Otocinclus Catfish
White Clous Mountain Minnows

In realilty try to stay away from and fish with very flashy tails or scales because they provoke the betta fish and they find it offensive. If you have any questions on other fish just type it in google and you should be alright. Have fun and Good Luck!

Most reactions

trending

Back