new tank few questions please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

leah9798

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Well, I did a big no no and didint cycle my tank before adding fish, always had fish as a kid and never cycled or tested the water so I thought it would be ok. I have a 50 gallon with 2 angelfish, 2 gouramis, 2 platys, 6 neons and 2 tetras. Well, I have learned and want to do this right now, I know it's alittle late but almost all of my fish seem to be doing pretty good except for one. I did lose most of my platys to ich which I've treated with coppersafe . I had my water tested 2 days ago and they said it was perfect which honestly kind of shocked me. I have been using prime, stresscoat and stresszyme and have added a small amount of salt to the water. I guess my questions revolve around the only fish that appears to be ill which is one of my neons. It still has its color but at the base of its tail it has a small white spot where the color is missing, a few of them(neons only) look like their tails have been bitten off, doesn't look like any fungus is on them. Can that be from their nipping behavior when they chase each other around the tank? Anyway, now I'm worried about this neon having neon disease, could it just be stress or should I move it out of the tank? Also, I've read you can combine meds made by Mardel, is that true? would you treat my tank with somthing else? :sad: I hate adding all these chemicals while I know they are stil trying to adjust. Someone mentioned doing a water change to see if that would help, but I'm worried since my water tested so good(amazingly) that I'm going to screw it up somehow. Any advice please!!!!! Thanks!! Leah

I just wanted to add that I've had the tank now for 3 weeks

Angelfish eat neons - its their natural diet, which might explain the nipped fins etc. The white spot could be Neon Tetra Disease, which is invariably fatal and very contagious, so you need to get that sick fish out into a hospital tank ASAP. Since it could be false Neon Tetra Disease you could try treating it with a general internal bacteria treatment.

I wouldn't personally treat the whole tank and since you're going to have to get those neons out (or alternatively, return the angelfish), you might as well treat them in a hospital tank.

Be aware that gouramis will also eat neons if they can fit in their mouth.

Water changes can only do good - you should be doing regular partial water changes (10-20%) at least once a week anyway. Angelfish and tetras don't like salt so I wouldn't add any more next time you do a water change.

As for your water being "perfect", I personally wouldn't go by that. There are a lot of things they can't test for and a lot of things that depend on the species of fish you have. For instance, angelfish like soft, acid water, many tetras don't cope well with high nitrates and livebearers like (but don't need) a little salt. Any idea what species your other tetras are? It's quite important to know the precise species and its important to try to make up schools where possible. You could probably replace your neons with these bigger tetras.

Hi Anna, I've been online trying to fugure out what exactly they are. I thought they were redeyed tetras but I'm not so sure now. They look a lot like it all silver, red eyes, and red and black on the tail and the fin on top and underneath are red also. I can't find them , I'm going back to the pet store tonight though to get a testing kit so I'll have to ask while I'm there. I have a question though since I don't have a hospital tank can I use another container and do I have to have a filter or can I use an airator with a stone(sorry spelling)? I dont really have the money to go set up another tank for them filter and all. I would have to say that the neons will have to go then, maybe I'll go get a little 10 gallon for them , I don't know what else to do with them. Thanks!! Leah

Leah, a second-hand 2-5 gallon tank is ideal for a hospital tank, but you will need a small filter, heater etc. This is definitely something you need to look towards getting.

In the meantime, you might be best to take the neons back to the LFS but don't get any more fish until you're sure everyone in your tank are healthy.

Hi Anna! yeah you are right, I'm assuming a little filter and heater for a small tank that size cant be that expensive. I'm not so sure the lfs would take them back. Maybe I can put them in there for a while, how long do you think a couple weeks, a month? hmmmm I'm not sure what I'm going to do, maybe I'll just start another fish tank if they are ok because I really should have a hospital tank anyway, right? Thank you!!!! Leah

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back