New Tank Cycled But Going On Vacation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cbearman

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have been doing a fishless cycle on my Son's 20 gal tank - using ammonia. Looks like it is now good to go because it has processed 2ppm Ammonia down to zero (and zero nitrites too) over the last two days. Did a 90% water change to get the nitrates back down, and cycled another 2ppm ammonia successfully last night.

Looks like it's ready for fish, but unfortunate timing, heading on vacation for a week and won't be getting the fish till we get back.

Curious as to whether the bacteria are going to survive without food (ammonia) for 7 days? I will of course add some ammonia before leaving to help.

Any guidance on whether the bacteria will make it and what I might be able to do to help them. Add some food? Add a raw shrimp (prefer not).

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the established nitrifying bacteria will survive the week, and more.  It used to be thought by hobbyists that these bacteria would die off in the absence of food, but recent studies have dis-proven this myth.  The nitrifying bacteria that colonize aquatic environments will in the absence of food go into a state of dormancy, something like an hibernation.  This can apparently last for weeks, though environmental factors play into this.  I wouldn't push the envelope, but a week should not pose a problem.

I would definitely avoid adding any raw shrimp or similar.  In another thread, this led to a real mess and a total tear-down of the system.  Leave the tank filter running, and the heater.  You could put a little bit of fish food in I suppose, though not necessary.

I have a 20g that is left running permanently and used to quarantine new fish.  It can sit without fish for weeks, even months some years.  I do have plants in it, and small snails, which makes a difference.  But I have never had "cycling" issues when I do acquire new fish and add them to this tank.

Byron.

I'd put a 2ppm dose of ammonia in when you get back from holidays. It should process overnight, and if by some small chance your colony has gone dormant, this will kick it back into life immediately.

Gruntle said:
I'd put a 2ppm dose of ammonia in when you get back from holidays. It should process overnight, and if by some small chance your colony has gone dormant, this will kick it back into life immediately.

I second this recommendation.  Relax and enjoy your vacation.  The bacteria will be ready for you when you return.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and just dose the tank before leaving and upon return.

For the record, back from vacation and my bacteria are still alive and well.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Yup.  Bacteria are far more resilient that some think.  Remember these are the same types of critters that require specially designed anti-biotics to kill.  

Most reactions

trending

Back