New tank cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Salts155R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So Iā€™m just about to get my 350L tank sorted.
Iā€™m using a fluval fx4 for the filter system.

Question
To help this cycle along is it possible to rinse the new filter media in water out of my 100L when I do a change then place parts of the filter media in the 100L tank for a few days before adding back in the filter and starting the cycle in my 350 ?

will this help speed the process up ?

also using water from a water change from my other tank to top the new up

If you have an established tank with an established biological filter, take half the media/ material from that and put it in the new filter. Instant cycled tank and no need to stuff around cycling the new tank.

If you have an established tank with an established biological filter, take half the media/ material from that and put it in the new filter. Instant cycled tank and no need to stuff around cycling the new tank.

As easy as that :D

so if I was to take out the ceramic media from my cycled tank put that in my new filter and replace the one I have taken, thatā€™s all I will need to do

Bacteria only grows to match the waste output of your tank. If you remove half the media and place it in your new tank, it will at best be enough for half of the stocking level of your old tank. You would have to add fish slowly and monitor parameters.

Since you removed half the media from the old tank it may create a mini cycle. You should avoid feeding it for a few days to reduce the chance of a small ammonia spike.

As easy as that :D

so if I was to take out the ceramic media from my cycled tank put that in my new filter and replace the one I have taken, thatā€™s all I will need to do
Yep, that's all you need to do.

And don't worry about the bacteria being halved because you only used half the old media. Filter bacteria can reproduce and double in numbers in a couple of hours. So even if you only add half the media, the bacteria will breed up overnight and then you will have the same amount as the established filter, or whatever the bio-load is in the tank.

Under lab conditions, with a proper food source the generation time of nitrifying bacteria is 10-12 hours at maximum growth rate. If you go ahead and buy a load of fish for a 350L while having only half the media from a 100L tank, there will a significant time-lag until the bacteria catches up. This will likely lead to an ammonia spike.
Evidence if needed.

For some anecdotal evidence, as we speak I am cycling a tank using half the media from an already cycled tank. I am 5 days in to the cycle, and it is definitely not done yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back