New tank..cloudy water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GazWhyte

Reaction score
Hi iv got a new 170L tank up and running, but I added 6 new real pants yesterday and today the water is very cloudy.. help please

This sounds very much like a bacterial bloom. A common occurence with newly set up aquariums.

This cloudiness will naturally disipate over a few days or a week or so, depends on how fast the tank settles. Don't worry, its harmless and your tank and plants will be perfectly fine.

Basically its just the bacterias all over the internals of the tank and also in the filter growing and establishing.

I'd strongly recommend you to have a read of this article, it is most useful and a good guide on ensuring your tank and filter is ready before you add any livestock to the tank otherwise the livestock may suffer illnesses and possibly die within a short space of time.

Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First!

Oh and welcome to the forum btw :)

This sounds very much like a bacterial bloom. A common occurence with newly set up aquariums.

This cloudiness will naturally disipate over a few days or a week or so, depends on how fast the tank settles. Don't worry, its harmless and your tank and plants will be perfectly fine.

Basically its just the bacterias all over the internals of the tank and also in the filter growing and establishing.

I'd strongly recommend you to have a read of this article, it is most useful and a good guide on ensuring your tank and filter is ready before you add any livestock to the tank otherwise the livestock may suffer illnesses and possibly die within a short space of time.

Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First!

Oh and welcome to the forum btw :)

Thank you for all that, will have a read.
I read up about doing a water change, but is a water change only necessary if I have fish, as obviously none as of yet.

Thanks again

You don't need to do a water change. If you try water changing during a bacterial bloom, all that will happen is the few bacteria you leave (it would be impossible to get rid of them all) will reproduce and the bloom will come back.

The bacteria will die once they have eaten all their food. The water should be nice and clear by the time the cycle finishes.

The bacteria that cause the cloudiness are different from the ones we want to grow (those in the link Ch4rlie gave you).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back