New Tank Arriving Monday

myrtle

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I had a phone call yesterday form ND Aquatics to say my new 6x2x2 tank is ready! This was a bit out of the blue as it wasn't due for another 3 weeks so now I'm in a bit of a panic as I haven't got anything ready yet - not even bought the lighting! The awkward thing is that I'm stuck at work on Monday, they've picked the only day in the entire School Holidays that I can't take off as we have asbestos removers and window cleaners in so I'm going to have to nip out when they deliver and go back without getting to play with it :sad: .

Now to the fun part: new fishies! I've been debating what would go best with my current inhabitants of 1 Julidochromis transcriptus, 2 Lestradea perspicax, 2 colonies of multies (with approx 30 fry!) and the rainbows. The main concern are the Lestradea but as I won't be getting the new fish for a while (about 4 weeks) they will have plenty of time to settle and claim their territory. I have been advised that the footprint should be ok for the Lestradea plus another sand dweller and I've been looking at Enantopius 'Kilesa' but they can aparrently die for no discernable reason which kind of puts me off. I have also been advised that one of the bi-parental Xenos such as papilo 'Sunflower' would be better than the maternal mouthbrooders but the footprint should be ok for either, though I don't know which yet. I'd like some Cyps too and with the 6x2x2 I can fit the jumbo types but I think I'd prefer to have the smaller ones but more of them and I'm not sure how well they'd fit with the Rainbows or whether they'd have enough space to sleep with the territories on the floor...
Anyhow, I've got a lot to do this weekend and a lot to think about but for the time being I'm going to let the current fish settle before adding anything else.

This all means that my Rena 4' tank will be for sale very soon - £50 and it's yours!

I had a phone call yesterday form ND Aquatics to say my new 6x2x2 tank is ready! This was a bit out of the blue as it wasn't due for another 3 weeks so now I'm in a bit of a panic as I haven't got anything ready yet - not even bought the lighting! The awkward thing is that I'm stuck at work on Monday, they've picked the only day in the entire School Holidays that I can't take off as we have asbestos removers and window cleaners in so I'm going to have to nip out when they deliver and go back without getting to play with it :sad: .

Now to the fun part: new fishies! I've been debating what would go best with my current inhabitants of 1 Julidochromis transcriptus, 2 Lestradea perspicax, 2 colonies of multies (with approx 30 fry!) and the rainbows. The main concern are the Lestradea but as I won't be getting the new fish for a while (about 4 weeks) they will have plenty of time to settle and claim their territory. I have been advised that the footprint should be ok for the Lestradea plus another sand dweller and I've been looking at Enantopius 'Kilesa' but they can aparrently die for no discernable reason which kind of puts me off. I have also been advised that one of the bi-parental Xenos such as papilo 'Sunflower' would be better than the maternal mouthbrooders but the footprint should be ok for either, though I don't know which yet. I'd like some Cyps too and with the 6x2x2 I can fit the jumbo types but I think I'd prefer to have the smaller ones but more of them and I'm not sure how well they'd fit with the Rainbows or whether they'd have enough space to sleep with the territories on the floor...
Anyhow, I've got a lot to do this weekend and a lot to think about but for the time being I'm going to let the current fish settle before adding anything else.

This all means that my Rena 4' tank will be for sale very soon - £50 and it's yours!

That will be torture for you Jo if you can`t get back to set it all up straight away :/

Anyway, the stocking.......I think from what you`ve been told about the Kilesa you`d be much better off giving them a miss for at least the time being. Maybe once the tank is sorted and it`s been running for a while THEN possibly see about adding them because at that point you`ll be more experienced with the different Tangs and will know if the tank 'needs more'.

I`ve seen the Xenos over at my local MA and they get on great with the multis and the ventralis and calvus that the big display tank is stocked with at the moment. They look like a really nice addition.
I`m not sure the cyps would be able to cope with the constant busyness of the rainbows so hopefully someone else can help you with that but out of the standard or jumbo I personally would go for the standard sized cyps, because they`re obviously smaller and will be able to have and enjoy having more space than jumbo`s would and you can have more of them which has to be a bonus. The colouring and behaviour of my cyps is brill and I`m actually thinking of getting some more in my tank at some point, depending on whether or not my cyps can get the hang of breeding :rolleyes:

I see from your latest topic you've got your upgrade ZoddyZod so I guess you won't be wanting mine now!

I'm going to give the current fish a good few weeks to settle before I get any more fish, I'm just having a good think at the moment and getting an idea of what may be possible. I keep thinking of skipping the enants but then come back to them again. I've also heard conflicting reports on the conspecific aggression with the X papilo with some saying they can be really nasty and others saying just a bit nasty so I'm thinking again about trying one of the maternal mouthbrooding Xenos. Hopefully by the time I've made a decision and am actually ready to order Mike will have more tank bred Xenos in stock - wild caught are just a bit out of my price range!

I see from your latest topic you've got your upgrade ZoddyZod so I guess you won't be wanting mine now!

you have a sharp eye Sir....although I'm obviously still envious of anyone with a SIX FOOT TANK!

Congrats on the purchase.....bet your head is spinning with the possibilities!

Madam, if you don't mind ;)
It's taken a good 5 years to work up to a 6 footer and until now all my tanks have been second hand too. This is my first brand new tank :hyper: My head is definitely spinning with ideas, the problem, as usual, is that I want everything! Right now I'm heading towards Xenotilapia flavipinnis 'Funda Golden Top' but this will probably change again over the next few weeks dependant on what becomes available...

Lol, no probs!

if you dont mind me asking how much does a 6x2x2 tank cost? i would love one in the near future if there at an affordable rate.

I got mine from ND Aquatics and it was on special offer at £636, full price is over £700 which is still good value when you consider that in my lfs a Rena 400 which is around 5 foot was £945!

Does it come with lighting ect or is it just the basic tank ? Sorry for all the questions

no, it doesn't come with lighting/filters etc though you can order them thru ND. I prefer it that way as you don't just get the bog standard lighting, you can get what you want.

minnnt, I'm in Basingstoke, hants, just off the M3 and for £50 it's yours. I bought it second hand with fish for £120 3 or 4 years ago and it has the original rena lighting, several scratches on the inside where the previous owner used an algae magnet, small bit of water damage on inside of the cabinet, slight bend in one of the lid sections but otherwise good!

Most reactions

Back