New tank and ammonia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cjhorn85

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just received my first aquarium, and looking for a little advice on some issues.

So, the tank has been up and running now for nearly 2 weeks. I was given a donated sponge from a friend who has an established aquarium (2+ years) and used it on about a third of my sponge filter. The idea is that this would naturally provide some of the bacteria to start off the nitrogen cycle.

In the last few days I have added plants and such as well. No fish yet, but this is where I need some help. I understand the donated sponge should speed up the fishless cycle, but I want to know how much. I've been doing regular testing of the water using the API test kit, and I've been constantly getting zero nitrites, around 0 - 5ppm (maximum) nitrates, and 0.25ppm ammonia. My tap water naturally has this amount of ammonia in it, as I've tested it as well.

So, I guess my query is this - Is getting the ammonia down just a case of waiting? If I added some of the "bacteria in a bottle" would that damage the bacteria on the donated sponge? If I leave the sample for a couple of hours, the ammonia comes down to zero, just not in the 5mins stated. Should I consider adding fish at this point?

I've got an emotional 5 year old that's already attached to this aquarium, so I really want to avoid killing fish where possible!!

Thanks for the advice all!

So, I guess my query is this - Is getting the ammonia down just a case of waiting? If I added some of the "bacteria in a bottle" would that damage the bacteria on the donated sponge? If I leave the sample for a couple of hours, the ammonia comes down to zero, just not in the 5mins stated. Should I consider adding fish at this point?
Adding a liquid bacteria supplement will not affect the bacteria on the sponge filter.

I recommend adding a double dose of the bottled bacteria every day for a week, then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the bacteria near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

I've got an emotional 5 year old that's already attached to this aquarium, so I really want to avoid killing fish where possible!!
lol, don't you love kids :)

-------------------
You can do a fish in cycle with bacteria supplement. Add a couple of fish and feed them a couple of times a week. Monitor the water and do a 75% water change if there is an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm.

A lot of test kits read zero ammonia as 0-0.25ppm

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back