New tank advice

I returned all the fish..
OK....I totally understand how hard a decision that was but it truly was for the best.

Now you need to get the aquarium fully cycled by following the instructions given in the link earlier. It will take time and patience but you will succeed. If unsure about anything, just ask as many questions as you want to in the aquarium cycling section and there will always be someone to give you a helping hand

You did the right thing for the fish by returning them, it wasn't your fault.

First off, can you do a full range test (not just the pH but everything) with the liquid test kit please

Then we can gauge where you are in the cycle process and the next step to take

Get some ammonia. The bottle must have ammonia or ammonium hydroxide and water as the only ingredients, no surfactant, detergent or perfume listed. If the ingredients aren't listed, don't risk it.
Several years ago, Australian members said that all they could buy was "cloudy ammonia" which contained detergent. If this is still the case, see if Amazon or eBay sell Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride. This is a different chemical so the dose rate on the calculator on here can't be used - if you buy Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride, follow the dose rate on the bottle.

For ammonia solution, you may find a syringe useful to add the right amount. You should be able to buy babies medicine dosing syringes from a pharmacy. The last section in our calculator is for working out how much ammonia to add.
Dr Tim's ammonium chloride comes in a dropper bottle.

Once you have some form of ammonia, add it to the tank. Wait half an hour for it to mix in, then test for ammonia. If it's less than 3 ppm, add a bit more - make a note of how much you add altogether. Then follow the method here
There should already be some bacteria in the tank so it should go quicker than usual.

Edit - wasmewasntit posted as I was typing

pH is app 7.2
Ammonia is .25
Nitrite is .25
Nitrate is 5

Also I have put some live plants in and they're going a bit yellow, I assume dying. Can I help them at all? 1 of them was an expensive plants growing on wood, really dont want it to die

Plants

Attachments

• 31D0413C-7849-4E70-ABEA-D145FB7BABC0.jpeg
    31D0413C-7849-4E70-ABEA-D145FB7BABC0.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 25
Have you added any ammonia?

Does your tap water have any ammonia or nitrite? Water providers disinfect the water supply to make it safe for humans to drink. Some use chlorine, some use chloramine. Chloramine is ammonia and chlorine joined together and will give a reading in the ammonia test.

What plants, and how many do you have? A full tank shot will help us judge how many. The plant on the wood is a species of anubias and the one in the substrate looks like some species of sword plant but I'll let the plant experts give a better ID.
Many plants are grown out of water as they grow quicker that way so the growers can sell them faster. When they are put in a tank it is common for the leaves grown out of water (emersed leaves) to die off and new underwater leaves grow.
What kind of light is on the tank? Does it have a K rating written on it anywhere? Some lights are better at growing plants than others.

If anyone has advice on the plants, some leaves are starting to yellow. Tank is about 18 days established now. No fish. Leaving light on as much as I can

Attachments

• 49D28A10-CC45-4C4C-B7A7-5A59E6512C45.jpeg
    49D28A10-CC45-4C4C-B7A7-5A59E6512C45.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 681E00E3-42E2-45BD-A11C-90FAF73B4AFA.jpeg
    681E00E3-42E2-45BD-A11C-90FAF73B4AFA.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 8B814A98-DF51-4B3D-8052-90E81EF3DCA5.jpeg
    8B814A98-DF51-4B3D-8052-90E81EF3DCA5.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 18
You might want to start a new thread regarding the plants in a cycling aquarium so that your questions are not missed by those who have planted and/or are in the process of cycling.

This section is the best place to ask specific questions...

You may even find other threads there that answer your questions and offer advice too :)

(I don't have plants, so cannot really help you with yours, sorry)

And if you are concerned about the plants, this is the best place to ask for plant advice

The green algae that you get over the glass and rocks etc,
Is this normal to an extent?
What should I clean the glass with?

As your plants grow they will gradually use most if not all the nutrients that algae need to survive

What is your lighting schedule?

Ideally lighting should not be on longer than 6 to 8 hours a day. Any longer than that and its an open invitation to algae growth. Where is the aquarium situated in relation to a window as that natural light, even when aquarium lights are off, can sometimes play a part in algae growth where plants are still small and in early growth stages.

What should I clean the glass with?
You can use a clean sponge, even one made for kitchen use as long as it's brand new and not impregnated with detergent etc. Or one of those scourers that look like a ball made from knitted plastic.

Most reactions

Back