New sponge in Cycled Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CraigB7708

Reaction score
Couldn't find my exact question in the forums. Starting a new small tank and bought new sponge for it. If i just place this new sponge in my established tank how long would it take to seed? few days? weeks? Do I need to have it running and connected to airline or just sit in in the tank. My existing sponge is way too big for this smaller tank 5 gal I am setting up.

I think it will work better with the airline connected. In general, I see people saying ~1 month for the BB to establish on a new surface.

depending on what your plans are for the new tank, you can also do a planted/silent cycle. It might cut your wait down by a week or two since you can add fish as soon as the plants are showing good signs of growth

Yes I know about that I already have some plants in the tank but not the fast growing kind, Anubias, Crypto. I am not in any particular hurry just curious how long it took to be seeded.

I agree. Although it's tough to tell if enough bacteria has formed on new media - I'd say 4 weeks I'd expect that to be enough.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back