New Royal Gramma-Possible Internal Parasites

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
I brought home a new royal gramma two days ago, and noticed it's belly is slightly sunken.  It's eating really well, even flake food.  I have not seen the royal gramma poo, so I'm not sure if it's internal parasites.  I was impatient, and did not QT, so it's currently in the display tank.  Should I treat with Prazipro now for possible parasites, or should I wait and see how it's belly looks after a few more days? 

Does the display tank have live rock and inverts? If so, don't use any meds on it. Do you know whether the fish was like this when you got it? If not, in could have been, so rather than jumping straight for a treatment that would require isolating the fish and stressing it more (since the tank has already been exposed if there is a problem), my inclination would be to let it continue to eat for a another day or two and see if it improves. Sick marine fish are notorious for refusing food, so the fact that it's eating well would seem like a good sign. A lot of marine fish also arrive skinny for reasons that have nothing to do with disease and are down to a combination of shipping stress and/or not being fed well at stores.

I think the only thing wrong with my fish is an impatient and paranoid fish parent :) Her stomach is looking better, and her poo is looking normal.  But just an important reminder why QT is so important...I was lucky this time.

I have read that, although not ideal to treat display tank, Prazipro is reef safe.  Anyone have experience using it with inverts/live rock?

On one site selling Prazi Pro I see the following warning:

NOTE: Not recommedend for reef aquariums with Feather Duster Worms or other ornamental worms.
(from: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12098)

Other places on the web cite it as killing worms, which makes sense for a dewormer. However, even without ornamental worms, there are a lot of other beneficial worms in the average FOWLR and reef setup. Other sites use the wording "invertebrates such as feather duster worms" which tells me it's not clear what all inverts could be harmed by it, although most of the focus seems to be on worms. I wouldn't really consider something like that reef safe.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back