New mystery snail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TrishinRoswell

Reaction score
I discovered these two new snails in my 29 gallon freshwater tank. One is on the glass and the other is hanging on a plant. I have a lot of snails that Iā€™m trying to get rid of with assassin snails, but Iā€™ve never seen any this large before. Theyā€™re bigger than most of my assassin snails even. I have not added any new plants or fish and at least a few weeks so I have no idea where they came from. Any idea what they are? should I keep them?

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 9
They look like a species of ramhorn snail, species vary from tiny 'pest' snails around 1/8 inch size to their larger cousins up to an inch or two. Yours are obviously not the tiny ones! it's up to you whether you keep them. People pay money for the coloured varieties, though yours seem to be brownish.
They probably arrived as eggs on a plant, it does take a while for the eggs to hatch and the snails to grow to that size.

So a follow up question. Since I really donā€™t think I want to keep them if they show up again lol but since they seem to be bigger than my assassin snails, Iā€™m guessing the assassin snails will not kill them. Is that true?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back