New Leopard Gecko

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cane76

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
i got given yesterday a 36x18x18 tank and a gecko.it has a heat mat and lights but no substrate will it be ok to use play sand like in a fish tank?and the tank needs a good wash will it be ok to empty it all out put the gecko in a suitable box and hose it down?what should i use to clean it?

If its an adult play sand is fine for them if its a baby i wouldnt use sand till it grows for compaction reasons.Look forward to Pics.I have 16 leos inc babies

its a male i will get a pic up later :good: how big do they grow to then?i thought it was fully grown

Keep that baby on a paper towel!!!!!!

Do not use any sand that clumps when it gets wet. They have recommended pet sand (I think exo-terra makes it). When the lizard get older then you can switch it. I would not recommend the moon sand. You don't want an impaction.......
Check your lizard every day once you have switched.
To clean the tank, they make a special spray for cleaning the sides of tanks for the lizard keepers out there.
Make sure you have a moist hide for the baby to shed with.
Please, please get ride of the darn heat mat (I hate those things)....
Lizards and snakes are too silly to know when they get to hot and will burn themselves, that is also why that heat rocks are NOT recommended.
Use over the tank heat lamps, they work much better and you can heat the tank much better. You can use the mat when in the winter when you turn the lights off and your house gets colder. I live in Canada, so in the winter, it gets cold, esp cause I live with "McCheap"....
If you have any questions with your gecko, feel free to PM. :good:

i got the tape measure out and he is more like 7-8"

If he/she is 7-8" it can go on sand no problem.As long as you have your heatmat on a thermostat there is no problem using them.I have used heatmats and heat cables for years with my leos all are on thermostats and the temperature is spot on.

Not many people in the UK will reccomend using the pet sand such as Calci sand,Most use either normal coloured play sand or Bird sand.If you use play sand dry it out before using it in the viv though as most of the play sand is damp when you buy it

sand is to easily eaten so personally i would use paper towels or beech chips and make sure it is beech chips because some woods are toxic to them

Keep that baby on a paper towel!!!!!!

Do not use any sand that clumps when it gets wet. They have recommended pet sand (I think exo-terra makes it). When the lizard get older then you can switch it. I would not recommend the moon sand. You don't want an impaction.......
Check your lizard every day once you have switched.
To clean the tank, they make a special spray for cleaning the sides of tanks for the lizard keepers out there.
Make sure you have a moist hide for the baby to shed with.
Please, please get ride of the darn heat mat (I hate those things)....
Lizards and snakes are too silly to know when they get to hot and will burn themselves, that is also why that heat rocks are NOT recommended.
Use over the tank heat lamps, they work much better and you can heat the tank much better. You can use the mat when in the winter when you turn the lights off and your house gets colder. I live in Canada, so in the winter, it gets cold, esp cause I live with "McCheap"....
If you have any questions with your gecko, feel free to PM. :good:
heat mats are actually better then lamps etc because leo's need heat on there underbelly to digest there food or if not they will get clumps of undigested food

what temperature do you keep your tanks at?day and night are different is that right?

when I was researching leopard geckos I found that paper towels is the way to go unless it is imperative that it looks ultra nice. easy to clean, economical, no impaction :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back