New Honeys

jollysue

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I got the last honey two weeks ago. Today I got two more. But they are different. The two today are darker and larger. Their fins are more flared, and the bottom fins are more skirt like. They have a dark brownish stripe on either side.

The first honey is smaller and paler with no stripe and orange tipped fins. It also keeps trying to intereact with the new ones oddly, and they ignore it and swim away.

????

Maybe the new ones are males [young and scared of girls ], and other female ..........mine both turned nearly jet black in the throat and running down to their anul fins , I think they are both male , they are both very colorful , one is yellow , the other orange/brown . :D

Hmm? I guess we'll see. I actually thought it might be the the pale one being the female. But I guess it would be odd her being the aggressor.

I also saw a sparkler with less brown dotty line. Maybe only one faint line. So I got it. :p

I'm inclined to think that the honeys are two varieties: two regular, common ones and a gold one. The first one is very different from the other two.

The girl who is good at sexing the fish said these were male and said the first was male when I got him. But I remember she also said she really didn't know and was just guessing which were male and which female. :/

OK, I am almost convinced that the two new darker orange/brown ones with the darker line along the sides are females. That would mean the honey/lemon yellow one with the brighter orange tinged fins is the male.

If any one can sex dwarf honey gouramis, speak up, please. :)

Well :band: :hooray: I have found the answer. Give me an, "Atta Girl, you go!"

Females are larger than the males. They usually have a brown horazontal stripe. The anal fin is usually a bit more pointy in males. And they spit to shoot down insects :lol: When not spawning they live in large groups.

Colisa sota

Not too late to reconfirm! Thanks for doing that. :cool: Ddraig Goch :)

Do you know how to sex sparklers?

What is a good ratio, male:female?

How many colonies in a 100 gal.? What size large group do they like?

Should I get more females while lfs has them?

The new females have gone from brownish/ornge-yellow to honey colored over night and the brown stripe is less noticable. So I guess everyone is getting along! :lol:

The rumor is that way back I have some Welch ancestors, Dgraig Goch. It's the branch that converted and came with Lord Baltimore to settle Maryland. :rolleyes:

What does Draig Goch mean?

Glad everyone is getting along in your tank.

Ddraig Goch is Red Dragon (like the flag). :D

Very very cool

There is a sparkler that plays with the two girl honeys. The honey's brown line is very faint now. They are still shaped different. They are much more honey colored. I saw one chasing the male the yesterday. I think they were playing. They like to play. :)

I just noticed. I think something may be wrong with a diamond head neon. He is swimming with his nose the the surface. I've never seen a diamond head do that.

EDIT:

I just euthanised the little one. It had begun to lose control of it's swimming. :rip:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back