New here

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Killifish and pygmy cories would work.

As to which species of killifish depends on what you like. Some of my preferred killis are Epiplaty dageti and Aphyosemium gardneri. But there are lots to choose from.

Unless you have experience hatching and rearing fish eggs you are better off buying young fish. That way you don't have to worry about fry foods and you can usually pick a few prs (males & females). Killifish mature quickly and breed when about 3 months old. But they also die after about 2 years.

If you have a heavily planted tank with lots of Java Moss and Water Sprite, and the adults are fed well, you can usually leave the babies in with the adults. Or you can scoop them out from among floating plants (Water Sprite) and grow them up in another tank/ container. Killifish do not breed out of control so you won't have 1000s, and you can usually sell them easily. If you do want to breed them, only keep 1 species per tank or keep fish from different genus, eg: 1 species or Epiplaty & 1 species of Aphyosemium.

I need to do alot more research before i decide and then the lfs may not even have them so it may not matter. I ordered a few small drift wood pieces so i have something to attach plants to.

The main reason most shops don't carry unusual fish is because most customers don't know or want unusual fish. Everyone wants neons, guppies and angelfish and shops would rather have tanks of fish that sell, rather than tanks of fish that don't sell because people don't know what they are.

Most shops get a big list of fish from their suppliers and they can order fish in for customers. So even if your local shop doesn't have a fish in stock, they can look on their list and see what is available.

The other option is to visit the local aquarium society and see if anyone there has fish you can get or buy :)

Went to petsmart today (chain pet store) i was acutually surprised by how good their animals looked besides 1 dead dwarf gourami. Oddly enough tho they had no guppies at all or killies they did how ever have a betta sorority tank and had their male bettas spread out threw the other community tanks and not in those stupid little cups which was nice they looked much happier and healthier. We did not buy anything i just went to find a second sponge filter but they didnt have the 1 i needed so i guess we will have to go to the lfs to get the stuff i need. They have a section in the store where they keep cats for adoption from the local shelter ,1 was a big black fluffy cat named jack, which is my sons name and now he wants the cat because he loves cats he kept saying" he jackson like i jackson he come to jackson house?"

Found a used 10g tank online today guy wanted $20 for tank , hood, 3 hob filters ( i will porobably fill 1 with sponge and ceramics media) 2 heaters both. Brand new 1 50 w preset and 1 200w adjustable, gravel , 3 pieces of decor and some plastic plants . the tank is absolutely filthy filters are all caked in stuff and its needs a good scrub but as long as it holds water and 1 of the 3 filters still work it was a pretty good deal. Now the kid has to use the potty for 3 more weeks before he can get his fish but that gives me 3 weeks to clean it and make sure it all works and is cycled

Most reactions

trending

Back