New here with new tank.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pgtips

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

Ok so i have only just found this forum......very cool :)

I have just bought a new 120 Litre tank (Juwel Rekord 120) to replace my old 55 Litre tank (TropiQuarium55).

I have in the old tank

2 x Angel Fish
2 x Ancistrus
1 x ???? some worm looking thing :rolleyes:
5 x Checkered Barb
2 x Platy

Will soon be moving those accross, any ideas how many extra fish i can have? Would like some Neons and maybe some more Platy and a Red Tailed Black Shark.

I'm still quite new to all this fish keeping business, but love it.

Anyway nice to meet you all

Paul

heya :D first of all i'd like to welcome to you the forum :welcome: lots of friendly people here :D

anyways, congrats on the new tank too. The general rule is one inch of fish per gallon (not including fins and tail)

do you have a pic of your worm looking thing? it could be a cool loach or something :D

i'd try to add up all ur fish's length in inches and see what you end up with as i dont' kno whow big they are (btw hwen counting, consider thier full grown adult size). 120L = 31G approxmiately

HTH (btw i don't know what an ancisturs is :X)

cool thanks for the info....and the welcome :D

the Ancistrus is...

think it's also called a Bristlenose?

Angel fish is about 4" long with the other being 3"

others are about 1 1/2" each with the worm about 3" and the Ancistrus about 3"

so yeah about 22" or so i'd guess.

do you have a pic of your worm looking thing? it could be a cool loach or something
I don't have a pic yet, will setup the Digital Camera and take some soon :) i think your right......It's some sort of Loach, like i said, i'm quite new to this just don't want to kill any of my fish by putting too many in a tank.

Paul

I think your fish will enjoy the new tank!

I'd say move your bristlenose and angel fish across and leave the barbs, platy and Coolie Loach (if thats what it is) in the 55L tank.

You do plan to keep both tanks running dont you? :)

Also remember when you set up your new tank use some of the gravel from your old tank along with a little of the water. Also depending what type of filter you have you could maybe move part of the filtration (sponge etc) into your new tank. Doing this will mean your tank will "cycle" very quickly! :)

Ben

Hi Ben

I put about 10 litres of water from the old tank into the new tank (when i did a water change)

I also took some of the biomatter out of my old filter and put it in my new filter.

Yes i want to keep both tanks :D

I put the 5 Barb in the new tank to help with the cycle as that is what i wasw told to do? is this right? they seem to be doing fine?

The new tank has been running 3 full days

Cheers

Paul

Hmm, how long did you leave the biomater to settle in, and did you let the water all come up to the same temperature as your old tank?

The fish may be absolutly fine, some barbs are very hardy.

Anyway, whatever you do with the fish is up to you, Im glad you plan to keep your old tank. Just make sure you move the Angels into your new tank and as they will grow quite big make sure not to overstock the top and middle levels.

Ben

bunjiweb said:
Hmm, how long did you leave the biomater to settle in, and did you let the water all come up to the same temperature as your old tank?

The fish may be absolutly fine, some barbs are very hardy.

Anyway, whatever you do with the fish is up to you, Im glad you plan to keep your old tank. Just make sure you move the Angels into your new tank and as they will grow quite big make sure not to overstock the top and middle levels.

Ben
the temp was the same as the old tank before i added them. The biomatter had been in for the 3 days along with half the rocks from the old tank.

so for a novice........what would you do? IE what extra fish would you get once it has been running a while? also how long would you leave it before moving the Angels Across?

Thanks again for the advice, i will listen as i don't wanna kill any of my fish. I know people say "they are only fish" but they are my only pets and i don't wanna see them floating. :(

Thanks

Paul

Hi and welcome

U should get some guppys and mollies they're very pretty and very hardy and gr8 if u want some fry, normally I would have suggested Clown loaches but seeing as the tank hasn't been set up for long it might not be a good idea as they are scaless fish they are effected by sudden changes and disease.

By the way bunjiweb I like ur pictures of clown loaches

Hooligan

Eeek not guppys they are too common! Some mollys can be very nice but be careful some can also grow quite big!

I still think you should move the barbs, bristlenose and barbs across... or maybe the platies instead of the barbs and get a couple more platies that would look very nice and clean.

Ben

p.s. the tank would be good for clown loaches but only 3 I would have said. Just remember not to overstock the tank with angelfish.

Ben

Hooligan said:
Hi and welcome

U should get some guppys and mollies they're very pretty and very hardy and gr8 if u want some fry, normally I would have suggested Clown loaches but seeing as the tank hasn't been set up for long it might not be a good idea as they are scaless fish they are effected by sudden changes and disease.

By the way bunjiweb I like ur pictures of clown loaches

Hooligan
Reading through the posts Hooligan i can see your obsessed with clown loaches :D :p

When it's been running a while i may get one just to please you hahahaha :lol:

Paul

i agree with the not puttin angels with neons, i started off with ten, 2 died (for some unknown reason) and 6 were eaten by my two angels...who seemed kinda happy with themselfs afterwards :angry:

I'll take that as a compliment oh and by the way pgtips you can't just get 1 clown loach otherwise it will get lonely as they are very playful fish and gr8 to watch. you have to get 3.

Most reactions

Back