New foster in rescue, was being fed hamster food

Guinea pig is regularly kept in New Guinea for food, and in the army during survival training, you are dropped naked in the bush with nothing but a Guinea pig a knife and a compass, and you have to get back to base 100km away. Most Guinea pigs don't make it back and lots of men swagger back to base with a fury loin cloth.
I had a furious loincloth until the vasectomy.

Those who can’t be bothered to feed their pets the right food really bug me. It’s a pet peeve that’s become something of an obsession. I feed my cats raw prey model diets, raise live food for fish and reptiles and try hard never to feed anything mush that has been put through an extruder if I can help it. I don’t keep Guinea pigs, though I think they’re cute - but even I know they need good hay and plenty of it, just like horses, which I used to have once upon a time.

Hope the piggie soon feels better and comes to appreciate her good fortune.

So being a rescue owner I see lots of weird, very bad things but this seems to be the latest craze, to feed your guinea pigs HAMSTER food. This year I have probably taken in 7 or 8 surrenders that have come in with hamster food. Hamster food!

So I went to the store today, just like Meijer or Wal-Mart just to see if there was an appreciable difference in cost between GP food and Hamster food and there really isn't more than like 0.50 or so but definitely not more than a dollar. AND the Hamster food does have a picture of a Hamster on the front of it and the guinea pig food does say GUINEA PIG and has a nice picture of a guinea pig on it so I am not totally sure where the confusion is coming from.

So this two-year old little girl (Abby-mix, buff/white, very cute) is stunted in growth. She is only 708g (body condition not too horrible really, but very tiny in stature), she is scurvy, she has bugs and thus, she bites :) Poor darling.

So she was started on ivermec, vitamin c supp, real food, and HAY.

The family was moving and "absolutely could not take her with them wherever they were moving to." Whatever... She is way better off here than there anyway. She probably would have died within 6 months there.

People truly make me want to pull my hair out. If you don't know anything about a pet, either find out, or don't get one. It seems so simple really.
Just from the title, before reading your post I thought someone fed their fish hamster food!!

So being a rescue owner I see lots of weird, very bad things but this seems to be the latest craze, to feed your guinea pigs HAMSTER food. This year I have probably taken in 7 or 8 surrenders that have come in with hamster food. Hamster food!

So I went to the store today, just like Meijer or Wal-Mart just to see if there was an appreciable difference in cost between GP food and Hamster food and there really isn't more than like 0.50 or so but definitely not more than a dollar. AND the Hamster food does have a picture of a Hamster on the front of it and the guinea pig food does say GUINEA PIG and has a nice picture of a guinea pig on it so I am not totally sure where the confusion is coming from.

So this two-year old little girl (Abby-mix, buff/white, very cute) is stunted in growth. She is only 708g (body condition not too horrible really, but very tiny in stature), she is scurvy, she has bugs and thus, she bites :) Poor darling.

So she was started on ivermec, vitamin c supp, real food, and HAY.

The family was moving and "absolutely could not take her with them wherever they were moving to." Whatever... She is way better off here than there anyway. She probably would have died within 6 months there.

People truly make me want to pull my hair out. If you don't know anything about a pet, either find out, or don't get one. It seems so simple really.
I clicked on this thread from the new posts section. I thought it was going to be about a fish. I was thinking "What kind of moron feeds hamster food to a fish?".

Just from the title, before reading your post I thought someone fed their fish hamster food!!
Thank goodness this foster has found their way to rescue! It's heartbreaking to think they were being fed hamster food, but now they're in good hands. Here's to a brighter future filled with proper care, nutrition, and the love they truly deserve.

I clicked on this thread from the new posts section. I thought it was going to be about a fish. I was thinking "What kind of moron feeds hamster food to a fish?".
?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back