New fish tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Nathan6725

Reaction score
Hi Iā€™ve just got a new 65l tank and I have 5 small barb in it. Iā€™ve been adding the tap conditioner and micro- lift nite out, starter bacteria. Iā€™ve been asking the people in the shop for advise, but they donā€™t want to know. Just wanted some help. Whatā€™s the cycle is that making sure all my levels are ok ph nitrate etc.

Shop workers are just about the worst people for advice, so even if they'd been willing, their advice would probably have been rubbish anyway.

Cycling - the terms come from the nitrogen cycle.

Fish excrete ammonia. This is toxic to fish - it burns their skin and gills. In a 'cycled' tank there are bacteria which use this ammonia as food, but they take several weeks to multiply till there are enough of them to remove all the ammonia made by the fish and ammonia builds up and can kill the fish. The ammonia eating bacteria are present in tap water in miniscule amounts, but the ammonia feeds them so they multiply and very slowly they will start to eat the ammonia and turn it into nitrite. Unfortunately this is also toxic to fish - it binds to their blood and stops the blood carrying oxygen. There are more bacteria in the water that eat nitrite, again in miniscule amounts, and once the first bacteria start making nitrite, the nitrite eaters can start to multiply. The nitrite eaters turn nitrite into nitrate. This is not as toxic as the other two.

When fish are put into a brand new tank, we have to measure ammonia and nitrite at least once a day. At first you'll only see ammonia, and a few weeks later you'll start to see nitrite. Whenever you see a reading higher than zero for either or both, you must do a water change to get the reading back down to zero. It will take a few weeks before you have enough bacteria to keep both ammonia and nitrite at zero for you, so you will need to do a lot of water changes in the meantime.

Once the tank has grown enough bacteria they will remove all the ammonia made by your fish, and the nitrite made from that ammonia. When you get more fish, you'll have to grow more bacteria, so again, measure both ammonia and nitrite every day and do water changes to keep them at zero.

You need a test kit that measures both ammonia and nitrite. Liquid reagent ones are better than paper strip testers. Most of us use the API master kit which tests for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

I haven't mentioned nitrate yet. The water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite low will also keep the nitrate level at the same amount as in your tap water. Once the tank is cycled - ammonia and nitrite staying at zero - you will need to do weekly 50% to remove the nitrate that is made.

Something you could do to help is get some live plants, particularly floating plants. Plants use ammonia as fertiliser, and take it up faster than bacteria. Floating plants are particularly good at this. If you can find some water sprite, buy it. This can be planted or left floating. I got mine off Ebay.

Another alternative would be to take the fish back to the shop and do a fishless cycle instead. This involves adding a solution of ammonia to the tank which feeds the bacteria until enough have grown, then you add fish. The method is written up on here in the How To Tips.

When the tank is ready for more fish, don't go by what the shop says. Ask on here instead. We will be able to guide you towards fish that are suitable for your tank and good tank mates for the fish you already have.

Hi yes I was getting the feeling the shop was just telling me anything. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve been reading up online. He never mentioned any of this stuff and I told him I didnā€™t no what I was doing, and could he help me. I got the 5 in one strips and did the test I couldnā€™t tell with the nitrite it was so close in colour, everything else was ok, the water hardness May of been to high that was hard to tell also. Should I be doing water changes and keep adding the micro lift night out. Thanks for the reply

If your paper strips test for ammonia, as well as nitrite, you can test the water and change it if you see either of those above zero.

If you can't test for ammonia, then you'll have to change most of the water, at least once a day. Make sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated.

Ignore the hardness for now. While that can be altered it is not recommended that newcomers to the hobby attempt this. It is far easier to choose fish that like the hardness of your tap water.

Depending on just how new the tank is, there may not be any nitrite yet as it takes at least a couple of weeks before there are enough ammonia eaters to make nitrite. But ammonia could well be quite high. You need to get something to test ammonia with as soon as you can. Liquid testers are better than strips.
Until you have an ammonia tester it is safer for the fish to follow Fluttermoth's advice, assume ammonia is high and change most of the water every day.

Hi yes I was getting the feeling the shop was just telling me anything. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve been reading up online. He never mentioned any of this stuff and I told him I didnā€™t no what I was doing, and could he help me. I got the 5 in one strips and did the test I couldnā€™t tell with the nitrite it was so close in colour, everything else was ok, the water hardness May of been to high that was hard to tell also. Should I be doing water changes and keep adding the micro lift night out. Thanks for the reply

upload_2018-9-1_15-10-47.jpeg
Not sure if you can tell much from this, not sure with the nitrite

I always find it hard to see colour comparisons on my laptop screen. But it looks as though you haven't got any nitrite, and if the tank has been set up for less than a month that is because you don't have enough ammonia eaters to make any yet.
If this is the case you will have ammonia in the water which the strips don't test for. You need to get an ammonia tester asap. Until you know just how high the ammonia is, you need to do near 100% water changes every day. Once you have an ammonia tester you can tailor you water changes to keep ammonia at zero. The very large daily water changes may be more than you actually need to do but for the fish's sake you have to assume the ammonia level is very high until you can measure how high it actually is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back