New Fish and Tank Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tbro04

Reaction score
I have a new 29 gallon tank w/ 3 GloFish Tetras, 2 Gourami's, and 2 normal-size Angelfish. I am wondering if this coexistence is okay for my fish.

I have also begun to notice one of my Gourami's chasing and nipping at the other. I am concerned if this is only territorial establishment behavior or rather something that needs to be addressed, and if so, how to.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Depending on what species of gourami you have, the tank might be too small for all of them. If you post a picture of the gouramis we can tell you what species they are and how big they get. Set your camera's resolution to its lowest setting so the images are small enough to fit on here.

The tank is too small for adult angelfish so they will need a bigger tank when they grow.

The tetras should be in groups of at least 6 and preferably 10 or more. However, if the tank is newly set up (less than 2 months old) I would not add any more fish until it has cycled in about 4-6 weeks.

If the tank is new then keep the feeding down to a couple of times per week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding them.

Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate if you have a reading above 0.

The following link has some information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's pretty long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in be d to help you fall asleep. :)
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819

If you have any questions or concerns, just ask. Someone will help you out.

The males of all cichlid and gourami species are territorial. Some species exhibit this more aggressively than other species, so as Colin said we need to know the gourami species. Females of some gourami species can also get very aggressive, sometimes overnight.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back