New filter question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Electric Warrior

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Itā€™s been quite a long time since Iā€™ve posted here because of well, lifeā€¦ Anyways, I am still running my 200 litre and I am looking at purchasing a new filter. I am currently still running two Eheim Ecco Pro 200s, but they are both taking the crap now, as both of the priming handles are breaking off and one is just held together with duct tape now, so the next time I open it, game over. I was going to start running one filter rather than two, and I was looking at the same filter but in the 300 version, or the Fluval 306. Now the Ecco Pro has a flow rate of 600 while the Fluval has one of 1150? Seems like quite a difference so my question is should I go with the Fluval for that reason alone? My tank is moderately planted, and 600 just seems a bit low to me.
Also, when I change to a new filter I can just transfer my media over and be good to go right? I am not sure if they hold the same volume of media or not but I am assuming they would be similar? Alternatively, I will look at any other suggestions for a canister of the same size if anyone has any? I do t want to break the bank so a similar price range at just over Ā£100. Thanks.

I am a fan of both eheim and fluval filters.

Once eheim starts to go, it goes tbh but after years of use really. Really that could be said of all filter actually so a moot point!! Albeit eheims are still a very good filter brand and does pretty much exactly what it states on specs.

Almost the same can be said for fluval filters, I actually prefer the build quality of the filter housings and also the ease of access to most fluval filters as well as how much filter media can be added.

Value for money would go to Fluval imho.

For performance wise eheim has slightly edged it ahead of fluval but only just and do tend to be a bit more expensive for eheims.

So in your case of having a budget of Ā£100 max, going for Fluval has my definite vote.

FYI for third place of filter goes to aquaone brand, I just like them for their simplicity and pretty good value for money.

And to answer your question regarding transferring media, yep simply add the media from old filter/s to the new one and you should be good to go, just donā€™t rinse or wash the old filter media just transfer them straight into new filter and add more media if there is still space to ensure new filter housing is full of filter media.

You may get a slight fluctuation in the cycle due to loss of some bacteria going away with the old filter housing and hoses but I would not worry too much especially if you have a well planted tank.

Do keep an eye on your livestock for any changes in their normal behaviour though and perhaps do test the tank water a few times over a week as well just to be sure.

I would write to Eheim and tell them parts of the filters are breaking prematurely. Do it nicely and say you have been a long time Eheim user and you are somewhat disappointed that parts are breaking prematurely. See what they have to say.

--------------------------
re: the filter materials, yes you can simply take the old materials out of the Eheim, squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water (like you do when you clean them), then put the materials into the new filter. If you have sponges that are too big, cut them down to size. If they are too small then add a bit more sponge from another filter.

Advantages of two filters is if one fails, the other will keep the tank alive. One filter means fewer power points and less cleaning but if it goes, you're stuffed :)

Personally I prefer Fluval because they were just as reliable as Eheim but a lot cheaper. However, this is going back quite a few years so not sure how good the newer models are.

Okay thanks for the help/suggestions guys. Both the Eheim and the Fluval I can find for roughly Ā£113 so they are prett similar in that respect? What about the flow rate? I have read people say that for my size tank a flow rate of 600 is pretty low, which would give the Fluval the edge. Any more details on that? I still donā€™t understand the significance of the flow rate in all actuality.

I would write to Eheim and tell them parts of the filters are breaking prematurely. Do it nicely and say you have been a long time Eheim user and you are somewhat disappointed that parts are breaking prematurely. See what they have to say.

re: the filter materials, yes you can simply take the old materials out of the Eheim, squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water (like you do when you clean them), then put the materials into the new filter. If you have sponges that are too big, cut them down to size. If they are too small then add a bit more sponge from another filter.

Advantages of two filters is if one fails, the other will keep the tank alive. One filter means fewer power points and less cleaning but if it goes, you're stuffed :)

Personally I prefer Fluval because they were just as reliable as Eheim but a lot cheaper. However, this is going back quite a few years so not sure how good the newer models are.

Well, to be fair I did originally get both filters second hand, about 6 years ago, and the handles started to go about a year ago, so they have managed pretty well for that amount of time I think... But yeah, the Eheim handle/primer started to go a bit dodgy a few years back, luckily I have managed to cope since then, but now they are actually beyond coping and totally broken.

Most reactions

Back