New female betta, has fin rot and white spots?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bettaloverx3

Reaction score
I've my female betta for 6 days. Before introducing her to an established tank i put her into a 4 lt aquarium. I put some live plants in it and im doing regular water changes and the heat is ideal. Today i realized that she has some kind of fin rot and after few hours i noticed that a small part of her fin had dropped. Around of her fins have darkened and she seems to have some kind of white dots all around her fins. I dont know her typical behavior but she is acting weird. She suddenly swims other directions sort of like jumping underwater. She seemed normal this morning maybe with a little bit fin rot but i was not expecting this kind of thing and i dont know what it is. Is it regular finrot or does she have parasites? What kind of treatment should i use? I did an epsom salt bath but it didnt help.

8sJ1ftM.jpg

ZDpjfeg.jpg

That tank is too small for that fish. A betta fish need at least 2-5 gallons a heat and a filter. The fin rot is from poor water quality and the white spots are most likely ick. Get a 5-gallon tank with a heater and a filter and treat him for ick and fin rot.

sounds to me like she definitely has fin rot and probably ich, but i don't know much about ich and you probably want input from other members.
my betta's had fin rot before and all it really took to help it was a bit of aquarium salt and a much larger, cleaner tank (i used to keep him in a really tiny unheated tank that i barely cleaned - yikes). i'm sure other methods of treatment are available but since i've done those two things it hasn't gotten worse.
if i'm correct about the ich thing, then that may be why she has strange behavior. my betta also (still) has velvet, another type of parasite. he rubs on decor and does do a sort of up and down "shimmy," which i think is called nosediving. he swims upward against the glass and dives back down to the gravel. it's a thing i've read comes with parasites.

the heat is ideal.

This means nothing can you please provide the actual numbers.

This method has worked for me every time, You should see results in 18 to 24 hours.
Easy Ich Treatments

1. 1
    Raise the temperature of the water to 86ºF (30ºC). Slowly increase the temperature by 2ºF (1ºC) per hour until it reaches the correct temperature. And maintain this temperature for at least 10 days. High temperatures speed up the life cycle of ich and can also prevent tomont from replicating.
    • Make sure that the other fish in the tank can handle the higher temperatures beforehand.
    • If your fish can handle temperatures higher than 86ºF (30ºC), raise the temperature to 89ºF (32ºC) for 3 to 4 days and then decrease it back to 86ºF (30ºC) for another 10 days.
    • Be sure your tank has enough oxygen or aeration as water holds less oxygen at higher temperatures.
    • At the same time, you can treat the water with salt.
    • Always be sure your fish can handle a rise in temperature. Observe how your fish react to a slowly heating tank or read up on how high of a temperature your fish can tolerate.

2. 2
    Increase oxygen or aeration in the tank to improve your fish's immune system and quality of life. Since ich inhibits a fish's ability to breathe and absorb oxygen, increasing aeration can help boost your fish's immune system and also save it from suffocating to death. There are several ways to increase oxygen in your tank:
    • Decrease the water level so that when your filtered water hits the surface, it creates more oxygen.
    • Place more airstones in the tank or move them closer to the surface of the water.
    • Use bubble disks to create bigger bubble streams.[4]
    • Use powerheads to not only increase oxygen but also improve water movement in the tank.[5]
http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Tropical-Fish-with-White-Spot-Disease-(Ich)

Most reactions

Back