New Cichlid Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

LobsterOfJustice

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I posted this in the main forum a few days ago, but didn't get much of a response, then I figured out theres a cichlid forum!

Just recently setup a 15 gallon aquarium right next to my computer... I have a few years of community fishkeeping under my belt so I'm doing something different for this one. I'm thinking German Blue Rams... I have read a number of sites that say they need at least twenty gallons, but a few that say they can be kept in something smaller, so I'm gunna try. A few of the sites say they are difficult to keep, but don't say why; I'm guessing they're just picky/sensitive about water chemistry.

The tank is cycling now with feeder goldfish but I'm noticing you can see every speck of poop and dirt on the sand. When I did a water change today I hovered the gravel vac over the sand to pick some of it up, but there is still a lot left. Right now the tank just has an inch of playsand in it and a large rock on one side. I'm soaking some driftwood in a seperate bucket which will be added, and I'm planning on adding a small pile of slate-like rocks on the other side along with a few clusters of plants throughout the tank.

This will most likely be a species tank, at least vertabrate-wise, because of its small size.

1) Specifically directed at Ram owners: Good fish? Why are they hard to keep (according to some sources)? I'm planning on keeping the pH at around 6.5 and the temp around 82... is this good? Anything else I should know about them?

2) Anyone: What are some good invertabrates to help keep the sand (and tank in general) clean? I had in mind either sand-sifting snails or small shrimp of some kind. Also, because I am getting the impression the Rams are picky about water quality, specifically nitrate, I looked for ways to solve this. Freshwater clams are filter feeders that will burrow into the sand and help filter impurities out of the water... should I get one (or two) of these?

All help and replies apprecieated.

It's not water chemistry that is the problem, but water quality. You want to keep the water as clean as possible by doing frequent water changes.

As far as tank size goes these are cichlids, and space is important. You can get away with a 15, but this is the bare minimum. A 20, or even a 30 would be better.

How do you plan on getting the water to 6.5?

Snails are good for aerating the sand and cleaning up, but don't expect them to do anything for impurities - any living organism will only contribute to fouling the water. Frequent water changes will keep things fresh and clean in the tank.

It's not water chemistry that is the problem, but water quality. You want to keep the water as clean as possible by doing frequent water changes.

Okay, I can do that :D

As far as tank size goes these are cichlids, and space is important. You can get away with a 15, but this is the bare minimum. A 20, or even a 30 would be better.

Yeah... I figured bigger would have been better but there were a number of reasons I decided on a 15. I do have the money and other resources to set up a larger tank in the future if nessecary.

How do you plan on getting the water to 6.5?

That was my next question :p

Do I have the right idea with the somewhat lower pH though?

Snails are good for aerating the sand and cleaning up, but don't expect them to do anything for impurities - any living organism will only contribute to fouling the water. Frequent water changes will keep things fresh and clean in the tank.

Alright, I'll get a few to keep the sand clean then, and to frequent water changes. How frequent? Bi-weekly sufficient or more?

Thanks a ton!

You don't have to keep rams on low ph...I keep mine on 7.4 and they double their sized in just a month..Even my Discus is thriving on these conditions..as long as the water is clear and everything is stable in your parameters and they shouldn't be hard to keep...GoodLuck...rams are very smart cichlids and are lots of fun to have..they behave like a dog to me anyways.... :D

As G_Sharky already pointed out these fish will do just fine in your water as-is. To start trying to lower it will only make conditions unstable, and this will create more problems then a slightly higher then ideal PH. My Nicaragua's (another new world cichlid) are thriving, nesting, and appear to be ready to breed at any time. They are kept in the same water (not the same tank) as my African cichlids, PH about 8.

As for water changes, weekly is ideal. 25% every week will keep the tank pristine and your Rams in optimum condition. You can get away with bi-weekly if you're schedule doesn't allow for any more.

Thanks all.

By bi-weekly I meant twice a week. Weekly I can do... I do weekly waterchanges on my other tanks so this shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks about the pH advice too... I never really worried about it with my other tanks but thought since these fish were more delicate they might care more. I'll be posting pics when the tank is done cycling and the new inhabitants arrive :D

Most reactions

Back