New Cichlid Tank

Ferris

Do ya feel lucky punk?
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to set up a Cichlid Tank and would really appreciate some advice on compatible fish. I have purchased and setup a 4ft deep tank which holds approx 48 gallons (UK). At the moment, I have 1 sailfin Plec, 3 Clown loaches and 1 Silver shark in this tank. The decor of the tank is based on rocks with plenty of hiding places, a power filter and 1 large airstone with, both with adjustable flow.

The information I have obtained so far indicates that the CL's and the plec will be fine with medium sized Cichlids but I am unsure as to the SS.

I intend to buy juvenile Cichlids and let them grow with the above mentioned tank mates (who are also juveniles) and I thought I would buy only 1 of each Cichlid as i do not wish to breed them and I would like to avoid the agressiveness of brooding parents. Is this a good/practicle idea?

I would also appreciate some examples of compatible Cichlids for this setup (common names please, not Latin). I like Firemouths so any suggestions for fish compatible with them would also help.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. :)

Firemouth is a good choice as well as Severums(Gold or green), Angels, flag cichlid , rainbow cichlid.... theres a whole bunch but go to fishprofiles.com to check out all the species...

Thanks for the info and for the link. That website is extremely useful. Anyone who reads this, check it out if you haven't already.

how wide is ur tank? if its decent you can keep decent sized fish in there. if i could i think i would put a JD and some cons or firemouths. your shark would probably be eaten and your pleco may have its fins ripped a bit. loaches are survivors and will hide if neccesary. gl man

If you want to go with a firemouth, then look at the severums or maybe even a green terror. I have all three amongst others and they should get along just fine. The only cichlids I have that I would not put with what you've already got in there are the Texas, Jag, Oscar or Blackbelt. The ones I have are more aggressive towards other tankmates. I have a Jack Dempsey that is out-of-this-world gorgeous and gets along just fine with the other tankmates (He live with my Oscar, Green Severum and a Pink Convict.)
Firemouths can be somewhat aggressive. Mine doesn't get along with the Blackbelt that lives in the same tank. Nor does he get along with the other firemouth I have. I don't think I would try keeping a firemouth with Angels. From what I've seen in my tanks, the firemouth is just way too aggressive for angels. A possible combo would be a Severum with Angels, but once the Sev gets bigger I would be concerned since a Sev is more aggressive than an Angel.

If you really like the firemouth, consider the Sev or Green Terror. In a tank the size of the one you've got, you could do the firemouth with one of those and be good.
Good luck!

I must say i wouldnt recomend green terrors for a tank with clown loaches, clowns are just not built for punishment and being a already shy and skittish fish living with a aggressive cichlid would stress them no end.
Firemouths are generally a peacful species but every now and again you do get a aggressive one, if you get one that is small and let it grow up with the fish you already have it should be ok, the severums would also be a good choice. Others you could try are festivums, blue acaras, angelfish, geophagus or satanoperca species (earth eaters) or one of the many dwarf varieties of Appistogramma or Pelvachromis (kribensis etc).

Hey, I've got a 4ft tank with 2 Severums (male and female), 2 Blue acaras (male and female, just started breeding), 2 Keyholes, and 3 Clown Loaches. I haven't had any major problems with any of them. The only problem with this set up is that there isnt much else I can add (cichlid wise) as the Acaras are too aggresive for wimpy fish, and the severums are to soft for bullies. I HIGHLY recommend at least one Severum. Amazingly good pet. Good luck :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back