new bettas

iloveyou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i found a crowntail at petcetera... its a steel/blue... its pretty cool looking, but not very active... i also got a large female from big als, and a basic blue female from petcetera..

heres the horror story...
i was pickin up cups to look at the bettas... my friend picked one up and the betta jumped out... about 4 feet high, luckily it landed on the shelf... i picked it up and put it back in... it jumped out again... so i went to scoop it off the shelf and into the cup, but guess what... it went into the cup, and made a leap of faith.... and landed on the floor.. about a 4 foot drop... i picked him up and put him back into a cup, but he didnt look good... he will probably die overnight... they filled the cups too full... bah.. i tried :X

Congrats on the new arrivals!! :thumbs:

And goodness sakes, why didn't they have lids on the cups? Usually I hate it when the cups are only half full, but I guess if there is no lids, that's a good thing? :sly: Good for you for trying, maybe he'll make it.. you never know.

baaah.. i felt bad... i considered buying it and tryin to save it... but o well..

it seems i was just bit by a spider while playing computer games.. ouch :X

hmm my petco doesnt use tops either...they give you them when you're at the register buying the betta

I despise those tiny little cups..... I don't understand how people who claim to know something about fish manage to ignore the fact that they are torturing those little beauties.... it is rediculous. I can't help but want to take them all home...but I have already rescued one and bought a baby and I am torn as to whether or not I should give them my money because I know that for every fish that comes home with me another will take its place. :-( Fortunately I have a fish store (petland) in my area that takes decent care of their betta's with overall knowledgeable staff. they also sell fish from BCBETTA. However I have never seen a worse petstore for bettas than petco. I was disgusted by the tiny gulp of water vases they were selling.... :grr: don't get me started on them.

I'm yet to see Betta cups to be honest.

Here in the UK Betta's are usually put in display tanks with small shoaling fish to show their temperment with other fish or kept alone if they're "bad boys"

i got a bunch of fish from bcbetta... i live about an hour away from her... but i have the obsession and tons of money so for some reason i keep buying more... my female krib died and next weekend a lfs has a 50% off all fish sale and they have albino kribs so i guess ill be buying a female...

they wont sucker me into buyin bettas tho.,.. they buy em from petcetera wherre theyre cheap, and sell them for triple the price...

but one of the lfs had marble bettas, and a purple mustard gas... they were really nice lookin but $9 was too much for me o well

maybe one day these big chains will wise up and treat animals with care who knows?

I live about a half hour away from bcbetta....I have yet to actually buy from her in person only indirectly through petland in langley. I definitely know what the obsession is like.... I just bought another today.. a baby female.. it was sort of an anniversary present....I have learned to take any excuse I can get....my last was winning $25 on a lottery ticket we played for fun on a trip to salmon arm....this is my third in two months... they are really addictive fish... I love them. :D I have been noticing that a local petsmart has been doing a little....and I mean a little better with thier bettas by sticking them in a large tank by themselves... I think is a cheap trick they are trying out because they are waiting for a shipment of fish... oh I wish I could change it somehow. :( Oh yes and the awful store I went to was a petcetera (abbotsford) selling 2 for 1 bettas....I was appaled by their lack of care....i only wish I had of taken some home....at the time i was just to disgusted to stay there....there were some vases that a betta could not even turn around in. I was angry for hours after seeing that.....it made Wal-mart and petsmart look like betta heaven.

Jayderana said:
I live about a half hour away from bcbetta....I have yet to actually buy from her in person only indirectly through petland in langley. I definitely know what the obsession is like.... I just bought another today.. a baby female.. it was sort of an anniversary present....I have learned to take any excuse I can get....my last was winning $25 on a lottery ticket we played for fun on a trip to salmon arm....this is my third in two months... they are really addictive fish... I love them. :D I have been noticing that a local petsmart has been doing a little....and I mean a little better with thier bettas by sticking them in a large tank by themselves... I think is a cheap trick they are trying out because they are waiting for a shipment of fish... oh I wish I could change it somehow. :( Oh yes and the awful store I went to was a petcetera (abbotsford) selling 2 for 1 bettas....I was appaled by their lack of care....i only wish I had of taken some home....at the time i was just to disgusted to stay there....there were some vases that a betta could not even turn around in. I was angry for hours after seeing that.....it made Wal-mart and petsmart look like betta heaven.
well, if you joined the bc betta association you would get to meet marianne (bc betta) and visit her place as well, very cool ;)

yea her fish room is insane.......... u think u feel the need when your at petsmart......... wait till you go there.... my gosh... i could not stop buying... keep your eyes closed when you go in or your pockets will be empty.. i got tons from her.. i live in pitt meadows now... i guess bettajar is in coquitlam which is close, but i dont want any more bettas... i have way too many. i have like 25 females, and about 10 males....... ive got to stop :X

How do you go about joining the BC Betta association? I am definitely interested in that. I am certain I will go nuts because the last time I was in petland I fell in love with so many fish and wanted to take them all but settled for one tiny female because she was so interested in my finger when she was in the tank and the others were beating on her a little...so I decided she was to pretty to get beat up. Of course I want to wait until she grows up a little and becomes less maintenance to get another. I have only seen pictures of her fish room and because you can't see the fish it doesn't really have a great impact....I know the real experience when it happens will be me running around trying to decide out of all of the gorgeous fish....as my husband clenches his wallet in terror. :lol:

Most reactions

Back