New, and paranoid, aquarist!!!

FireBallKY

Reaction score
Hello guys/gals and fishies!!

My girlfriend and I just aquired a 55 gal tank, stand and all the hardware for free last week. The funny thing is, when we found out about it, I was less than 2 hours from going to put a 29 gal in layaway. Fate? I'll let you be the judge. We were so excited that we went ahead and purchased the 29 gal anyway because she is a big fan of oscars and I'm the one that wants the "melting pot" aquarium full of different, active fish.

I hope I do not bother any of the regulars with my multitude of questions but I've been wanting to keep fish for a long time and now my dream has finally come true and I wanna do the best that I can. I know most of this hobby is trial and error but it never hurts to get tips from those that have already walked the path.

Thanks!!! :fun:

Welcome! Fairly new to the hobby myself and although some things are trial and error, I found the information on this site invaluable in preventing a lot of mistakes. I've had a tank up and running for about two months now with live fish for about 5 weeks. So far, I've only experienced one, albeit very sad, fish loss. Listen to folks here, do as much research as possible, have patience, and you will do very well in this extremely rewarding hobby.

Incidently, (and this is not really the place to discuss this) from what I've read a 55 gallon tank is actually on the small side for an oscar. I'm by no means an expert (I like a few types of little fish, like you) so do read up on their care requirements. The fish index on this site is a good place to start.

Enjoy your new aquarium's and your time here. The people are helpful and informative. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are stupid, I have asked a bunch of those already.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back