Neons and Salt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mariah

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey,
Just a quick question. Can I put salt in my tank if I have neons in there? What about a pleco? All my other fish are livebearers.
Thanks in advance ;)

I'm not sure about salt with neons. You have a plec so no salt. The salt will burn his skin.

Bryan1957 said:
I'm not sure about salt with neons. You have a plec so no salt. The salt will burn his skin.
I do not have a pleco but was thinking of getting one.
Does anyone know about salt and neons?

as far as i know, no salt with neons. what are your other fish, tank size and what are you treating them for?

Tokis-Phoenix said:
as far as i know, no salt with neons. what are your other fish, tank size and what are you treating them for?
I heard that salt was good for preventing diseases in a fish tank thats why I was going to put it in the tank. I have internal parasites (white stringy poop)
So defentally no salt with neons?

You can use small amounts of salt on neons,but only when they are ill, i've used salt on them and they were fine.

Wilder said:
You can use small amounts of salt on neons,but only when they are ill, i've used salt on them and they were fine.
Ok thanks, Do you suggest using salt to treat white stringy poop?

I've had to use large amounts of salt to treat an outbreak of ich before (clown loaches, don't ask), and I had two common plecos in the tank with them. They were fine and the salt cured the ich.....but I stopped adding salt and just let the water changes take out the remaining salt after I was done with treatment.

Thanks for the advice. I think Im going to be adding salt to my tank. Maybe it will help :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back