Neon Tetras

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fishy9

Reaction score
:unsure: Do tetras have to have a certain temperature? Can they live with Goldfish? If so, can the goldfish live in warmer climates? And How many should I purchase? I have a 20 gallon tank with a filter, no plants yet, and five goldfish. My boyfriend and I really would like to put the neon tetras in with our goldfish.

Fishy9 said:
:unsure: Do tetras have to have a certain temperature? Can they live with Goldfish? If so, can the goldfish live in warmer climates? And How many should I purchase? I have a 20 gallon tank with a filter, no plants yet, and five goldfish. My boyfriend and I really would like to put the neon tetras in with our goldfish.
I had them together when I was an extreme newb. goldfish can survive in warmer temps, tet's cannot.

The only problem with it is that the goldfish are food hogs... and are incredible messy. And depending on how large they are, I wouldn't let the idea that they might eat the neons out of my mind

The-Raven said:
Fishy9 said:
I had them together when I was an extreme newb. goldfish can survive in warmer temps, tet's cannot.

The only problem with it is that the goldfish are food hogs... and are incredible messy. And depending on how large they are, I wouldn't let the idea that they might eat the neons out of my mind
Tetras are tropical fish and CAN be kept at warmer temps while Goldfish prefer the lower temps. Fancy goldfish do well in warmer water than regular goldies like orandas and stuff like that.

What type of goldy do you have? I have a school of 5 neons and keep the temp at about 78. :thumbs: While My fancy goldfish's tank stays at about 72.

I would not add the tetras as you are VERY overstocked. I hope you keep up with frequent water changes and have a very good filtration system as your goldfish are very crowded and also produce a lot of waste. I assume they are probably only 2-3 inches now? Well they can get over 8 inches in an aquarium easily. Once these are full grown you will NOT be able to keep them in that 20 gallon. I would say, depending on the type of goldies you have, you would atleast need a 55 gallon if not more. :nod:

Also, goldfish's slime coat is supposed to be toxic to most tropical fish. When the goldfish get larger they may also make a quick snack of the neons.

I would skip on the neons and either give back all but 2 of the goldies for the 20 gallon (still overstocked, but a goldfish needs company) or keep all 5 for now and invest in a larger tank.

Most reactions

Back