Neon Tetra With No Tail Fin

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheJ0kerrr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought 3 Neon Tetras today and put them in my tank. I noticed after a few minutes that one of them wasn't swimming around like the other 2... figured he was stressed a little more. But later, I noticed he was swimming at a 45 degrees angle (his head toward the bottom). Then when I looked closer, I noticed his tail had no fin...DOH!!

It wasn't that obvious at first since their fins are so clear they are barely visible. My question is... can this grow back or is he doomed? #40## LFS will receive a call tomorrow!

If its not completely gone, it will grow back. Honestly I'd just return it for another.

One of mine had this, he lasted a fair few weeks, however he hasnt been seen for well over a week. I have checked in the plants and under the ornaments and cannot be seen. I think he was eaten... Out of the 6 he was VERY small.

I previously had 5 neons with each other and one got picked on. His tail was completly biten off. what i did was seperate the one that had his tail bitten off, he was put in a mesh bredder box so he could still see the others. I went out and got 5 more and put them in at the same time i let the injured fish out. he still didn't have a tail but now he wasn't getting picked on. it slowly but surely grew back as he wasn't being harassed. so i think you should get the numbers of them up to atleast 6 and then it will decrease the stress on him and the tail will grow back.

Yeah, the plan is to get 3 more next week, just didn't want to add them all at once. I'll call and see if they'll take him back, and if they don't, i'll try the breeder net thingy.

Thanks!

Well, the poor thing was already pretty much dead when I got home from work the next day... He was stuck on the filter intake and couldn't couldn't even swim upright when I freed him. :sad:

LFS said their is no warranty on fish...not that I really care about the $2.50 replacement cost, but that's pretty cheap of them. Also, I noticed a few white spots on one of the 2 remaining...so now i'm probably stuck with an ich problem too...how great :angry:

No warranty = no return to that LFS! For the sake of $2.5! there loss more than yours mate.

I visit two different stores 1 for fish the other for plants.

Sorry to hear about this experience.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back