Neon Tetra help

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

efirerobin

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had some neons for 2-3 years now and one of them developed a quite crooked spine about 3 months ago. It doesnā€™t affect his swimming eating or behaviour and is doing perfectly other than a very crooked spine, is this just ā€œ old ageā€?

pictures of the fish?

it's probably age related. if it's still eating, swimming and pooping normally, leave it be.

I would watch the fish closely. 3 is not old for a neon, unless it has been kept at too high a temperature. If it is TB, then it's a common, untreatable malady that the whole tank will have. It's a chronic disease. It causes internal cysts that if in the wrong spot will affect bone growth and shape. It's also hard to diagnose without killing the fish and having a laboratory for an autopsy. It can have a wide range of symptoms.
If the fish worsens, don't let it die in the tank. Otherwise, I'd just proceed as if he has a deformity.

pictures of the fish?

it's probably age related. if it's still eating, swimming and pooping normally, leave it be.
IMG_2381.jpeg
IMG_2376.jpeg

I would watch the fish closely. 3 is not old for a neon, unless it has been kept at too high a temperature. If it is TB, then it's a common, untreatable malady that the whole tank will have. It's a chronic disease. It causes internal cysts that if in the wrong spot will affect bone growth and shape. It's also hard to diagnose without killing the fish and having a laboratory for an autopsy. It can have a wide range of symptoms.
If the fish worsens, don't let it die in the tank. Otherwise, I'd just proceed as if he has a deformity.
Water parameters are all good. The GH is slightly on the hard side. Water is set and monitored at 77f. No other fish have been affected or show any symptoms of illness or disease. I think if it was ā€œcontagiousā€ other fish would have been affected by now as heā€™s been like this for about 3-4 months now.

I would just monitor it but if it has been like that for 3 months and not gotten worse, then ignore it.

The rasbora in the bottom picture looks a bit skinny around the head. that could be intestinal worms or gill flukes. Make sure it's getting a varied diet and it's eating well. If it continues to lose weight/ condition over a few months, deworm them.

Section 3 of the following link has info on deworming fish.

I would just monitor it but if it has been like that for 3 months and not gotten worse, then ignore it.

The rasbora in the bottom picture looks a bit skinny around the head. that could be intestinal worms or gill flukes. Make sure it's getting a varied diet and it's eating well. If it continues to lose weight/ condition over a few months, deworm them.

Section 3 of the following link has info on deworming fish.
Hi thank you for your reply, that is a young ember tetra

Hi i dont know ur tank but i had the same happened to my guppys they say its due to hi ammonia and nitrates ?

Most reactions

Back