Need some help :(

xxAlexxx23

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I just recently took over a property that had a pond in the backyard and I had been managing it quite well during the winter time but it has just now gotten crazy out of control with algae since I am not up there as often as I used to be. I need some help with someone insight on how to get rid of the algae that is completely taking over the pond :(

It was looking amazing before all this happened and I would hate to see it completely get destroyed by all this!

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 33
I really have no idea but as I read your post something instantly came to mind. I have found that following such hunches or insights tend to work for me. Since you are in Cal... If in an area with a moderate climate I'd toss in a bunch of veggie eating snails. While it would not help above the water level fresh water scuds will also eat the daylights out of algae.

Others will probably give better advice but this is what came to mind.

Are there fish in the pond? If so, what kind?

I really have no idea but as I read your post something instantly came to mind. I have found that following such hunches or insights tend to work for me. Since you are in Cal... If in an area with a moderate climate I'd toss in a bunch of veggie eating snails. While it would not help above the water level fresh water scuds will also eat the daylights out of algae.

Others will probably give better advice but this is what came to mind.

Are there fish in the pond? If so, what kind?
thank you for that i will look into it for sure!

Yes I have about 6 KOI fish in there

For outdoor ponds you need a UV filter. Either standalone or a filter with a UV tube in the lid. These tubes need replacing every year if you have them. Should clear within a week or so.
Reminder to self: Time to get a new tube

I have four ponds, and I don't use filters, UV or otherwise. The only one I have an algae issue with is the one that gets a lot of morning sun. This year I just strategically placed a few old palm fronds to shade it for the summer, and algae problem solved. So much so that I've had to remove them now and again so I get some algae for the tadpoles and shrimps in there. All the ponds are heavily planted, and I have small trees and shrubs surrounding them for shade. I only have aus native fish in them, no goldfish, but they run themselves. The fish breed like crazy, just as well, as I have hundreds of dragonflies around, and I'm sure that there are diving beetles in there too. Nature does a good job of working things out.
Barley straw is a natural gentle way to control algae, and a good thing to use to kickstart clearing it.
Good luck!

I have goldfish and koi - plants do not survive. Once the sun comes back UV is the only thing that works for me. If I can keep the unicellular green algae away I don't get blanketweed

Wow, I haven't fully appreciated how lucky I am for it all to have gone smoothly. Enough work mucking around with aquariums, would not like to have to add looking after the ponds to the mix!

Shade to keep the algae under control is key. Floater plants like water lettuce and water hyacinth are good. You could use some fake lillypads. A real lilly might make it too but I haven't tried that with koi or goldfish. Barley Straw Bales are good too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back