Need help Identifying aquarium moss and need help in getting rid of it.

entropian

Reaction score
It basically covers all services and grows into a giant mass of floating moss that attaches itself to floating pants or roots. Every time I try to scoop it out or get rid of it it breaks into hundreds of smaller pieces and just seems impossible to fully get rid of. This tank has 3 African dwarf frogs and 7 neons need options that would be safe for them.

Attachments

• 20230926_185826.jpg
    20230926_185826.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230926_185810.jpg
    20230926_185810.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 22
It is algae not moss. Remove it all (with a net) and cut down the length of time that the light is on.

Try to remove as much as you can with a net and as others have said reduce the lighting. Some turn the lighting off altogether for a week to help kill it off, but depending on what plants you have that may be detrimental to those, so you can also reduce the amount of hours the lighting is on.

You can also do more regular water changes, including vacuuming the substrate, while you're dealing with this to keep water conditions good. ADF's are very sensitive to water quality.

Can we get a picture showing the entire tank?
How long is the light on for?
What sort of substrate is in the tank?

If you don't have any live plants in the tank, you only need the light on for a few hours in the evening or whenever you are home to watch the fish.

It basically covers all services and grows into a giant mass of floating moss that attaches itself to floating pants or roots. Every time I try to scoop it out or get rid of it it breaks into hundreds of smaller pieces and just seems impossible to fully get rid of. This tank has 3 African dwarf frogs and 7 neons need options that would be safe for them.
Hello. I've experienced this type of thing and use a toothbrush to remove it. It will become a problem if you feed your fish too much or add fertilizers. It will cover your aquarium plants reducing the amount of light they get. Large, frequent water changes are the answer to just about every tank problem. So, gradually increase the amount you change. A 50 percent change or even a bit more every few days isn't too much.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

Back