need help, Fish in my 40g tank!!!

craig22

Reaction score
i recently bought a 40g tank... and was wondering if i could put these fish in it togther without any deaths. they are 1 blue gourami, 3 angels, 1 black molly, and one rainbow shark. they all relatively stay close to 6" i think. im not too sure if these fish will kill eachother so please help me. :S :crazy: :dunno:

some pics of em below \/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/craig22/111111.bmp

How tall is your tank out of curiosity because from what I understand it needs to be at least 18" high for angels

im not worried about nips i just dont want anything to die $$$

Why those fish inparticular? I personally think its a good idea to stock your tank with different level fish....i.e...top feeders,middle swimmers and bottom dwellers. I don't forsee a problem with the fish you have suggested but ,maybe get a few ideas before you go ahead!! HTH. :)

A 6" molly? Now this I've got to see. Anyway the molly will probably want soem company from it's own kind, they don't do as well alone.

Angels ar elike top/middle Shark is bottom/Middle ( i know this becuz i have both of these fish) I dont know bout the nolly

ive looked at all of my LFS's and these are the fish that i liked that they had in stock... so i was just wondering if i could throw em all in a 40g tank haha

by the way... whats HTH mean?

David said:
A 6" molly? Now this I've got to see. Anyway the molly will probably want soem company from it's own kind, they don't do as well alone.
well they do get to 6 inches, and cost alot of money when they are that big. my petco sold a 6 incher for 11 dollar!

and mollies dont need to be kept with other mollies. thats platties that do.

mollies can be very agressive though, so thats when you will need more mollies. And mollies really do need to have some salts, and despite them being fresh water, they really do thrive in bracksih water. sea salt, btw. and i dont think any of those other fsih would like the salt.

HTH= hope this helps.
When I first started out I picked fish that I liked.....funnily enough I don't favour many of those now.....but ......my advice to you is....read up on fish you like, see how many you should have for that particular species and who they are compatible with, and go from there. You need to check that your tank size is suitable(for adult sized fish)
I thought your choice of fish was ok.....but a strange mixture....just my opinion though.
Also, have you read up on cycling your tank and water quality etc?

yah thanks... im gonna read up on em... but the quetion still stands.. would those fish live together without dying... if i added another molly to make 2

wrs said:
David said:
well they do get to 6 inches, and cost alot of money when they are that big. my petco sold a 6 incher for 11 dollar!

and mollies dont need to be kept with other mollies. thats platties that do.

mollies can be very agressive though, so thats when you will need more mollies. And mollies really do need to have some salts, and despite them being fresh water, they really do thrive in bracksih water. sea salt, btw. and i dont think any of those other fsih would like the salt.
But he said black molly... by that I assumed he meant a sphenops molly, which are much smaller than the sailfin mollies which he really meant. Yes, sailfins can get to 6" but it's hard to get them to that size. i heard you need to keep them in an outdoor pond for one season in order for them to get full size.

craig22 said:
yah thanks... im gonna read up on em... but the quetion still stands.. would those fish live together without dying... if i added another molly to make 2
Maybe its just me, but I don't think "without dying" is the issue ... its more an issue of will they thrive. A fish can live (a while) being chased around and getting nipped fins -- but its not a very happy existence, ya know?

ive looked at all of my LFS's and these are the fish that i liked that they had in stock... so i was just wondering if i could throw em all in a 40g tank haha

I'd take your time to research each of them -- try fishprofiles.com and fishindex.com in addition to this forum. :) They have LOTS of info!

Also, is your tank cycled? Take your time and add fish slowly 2-4 at a time so you don't get too huge of a bioload all at once.

In additon to the fish you selected because you liked their looks, you might think about leaving room for some "useful" fish too -- like otos or other algae eaters.

Take your time -- finding new fish and adding them little by little is half the fun of keeping aquariums! Good luck!!

Most reactions

Back