Need another fish...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Samsbichir

Reaction score
i currently have a 2 foot long tank tahts about 30 gallons... got a senegal, silver dillars and hujeta pike. Im oooking for a fish to add that geta 5 to 6 inches in size. Thinking of gouramies, but would be nice to hear some suggestions!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You probably won't like what am about to say but has to be said just to let you be aware at the very least some information about your tank stocking.

Those species you have in your tank are not the smallest fish to have, certainly not for a 30 gal / 110 litre tank am afraid.

The smallest specie in size from your stocking are the Silver Dollars (depending which specie) but these as a general rule need pretty big tanks, 6 feet in length at LEAST. (length and width of tank being more important than height with these guys). Also needs to be in groups of at least 5.

Silver Dollar - Metynnis hypsauchen

Senegal, am assuming as birchir specie, these guys grow pretty big, about 50cm or 20 inches, so a two foot long tank is nowhere near suitable to be entirely honest. Again a 6 foot tank would be more suitable.

Senegal Bichir - Polypterus senegalus senegalus

And lastly, the Hujeta, not a pike as far as am aware but a specie of gar fish i think, this is not a specie I have much knowledge of at all, so relied on Seriously Fish for this. But I do know some species of gar grow absolutely HUGE, but this being one of the smaller specie of gar it seems, thankfully, but still grows to around 25 cm / 10 inches. So I think you can see the pattern here coming, yep, a 6 foot tank required as minimum.
(Apologies if I have the wrong specie here but having had a look online for Hujeta Pike, either Hujeta Gar or African Pike crops up every time.)

Hujeta gar - Ctenolucius hujeta

Basically for ALL your stocking choices, a 6 foot tank is going to be the tank size you need. All are Soft water species as well, so do be sure your water is suitable for these guys. These are big fish so therefore will have big apetites, which usually means smaller species of fish may be seen as fair game as food. And this 6 foot tank will need good tank filtration to deal with the bioloads as well.

Sorry but choosing gouramis is the least of your worries at the moment, unless you rehome all the above species then yes, you can have gouramis, a 30 gallon is pretty much perfect for them.

Welcome to TFF.

I agree with Ch4rlie. The present fish will not be at their best (meaning, in good health and condition) in this tank, so I would re-home all of them soon.

Byron.

So how about a moonlight gourami and some mollies and corydoras

So how about a moonlight gourami and some mollies and corydoras

First, before we can suggest possible fish for you, we need to know your water parameters. This means the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and pH of the source water, presumably tap water. You can get this data from the municipal water authority if you are on city water, check their website. Or you can contact them directly.

Different fish have different needs. Some must have soft water, some must have moderately hard or harder water, and many will manage somewhere in the middle if not extreme. Mollies for example will not last long in soft water. Gourami need soft water or slightly on the moderately hard side, similar to cories.

Aside from that, moonlight gourami wouldn't be a good idea here, because it will attain six inches which is a pretty big fish for a 2 foot length tank.

Byron.

Most reactions

Back