need algae eater for african cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mtdewlvoer

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon tank with three red zebras and two yellow tailed violet cichlids. I love them :wub: Well I had a pleco and he was huge and my fish picked on him and tore his fins and I didn't like the thing either, they are scarey. So I gave him to a friend. Now I have algae and it's gross :sick: so I'm looking for an algae eater that my fish won't eat. My friend has Siamese algae eaters in his cichlid tank and they do great. Would those work in my tank? Or would something else be better? He has blue zebras and those yellow cichlids I can't think of what they're called. Any suggestions for me?

Alicia

I have heard that this is one of those rare situations where an adult CAE would be a good thing - they are quite territorial and very aggressive, and they eat some algae.

SAEs are schooling fish and although they love algae they aren't very large compared to Mbunas and not very aggressive, so they might be attacked by the cichlid (I don't know much about cichlids but that's what I'd think).

If you went for a CAE try to see if you can get one that isn't just a baby since the poor things are frequently considered nasty and are frequently mis-sold to newbies looking for a gentle community fish.

fishyscent said:
wont the oscars eat them since they are small?
Oscars weren't mentioned - zebras and yellow-tailed violet cichlids were. And CAEs grow to about 11" long which is hardly what I'd call small. Hence my mention of buying a mature one, not a baby.

SAEs are schooling fish and although they love algae they aren't very large compared to Mbunas and not very aggressive, so they might be attacked by the cichlid (I don't know much about cichlids but that's what I'd think).

Just to say, yes, they would harass them like crazy in most cases. You already know this but for others reading this, SAE's shouldn't be kept with most cichlids.

smb said:
Just to say, yes, they would harass them like crazy in most cases. You already know this but for others reading this, SAE's shouldn't be kept with most cichlids.
I didn't know that actually - I know someone with some shelldwellers and a school of what we suspect are SAEs, but the shelldwellers are barely more than fry at the moment and the SAEs are possibly not SAEs.

Anyway, SAEs bad with cichlids. Check.

Any other ideas then to use for algae if the SAE won't work?? :/ I also heard that when CAE get big that they don't eat algae. Is this true? And is my tank too small for an adult CAE?

Alien Anna said:
smb said:
I didn't know that actually - I know someone with some shelldwellers and a school of what we suspect are SAEs, but the shelldwellers are barely more than fry at the moment and the SAEs are possibly not SAEs.

Anyway, SAEs bad with cichlids. Check.
Well, not all cichlids. I meant most cichlids as there are some easy going cichlids. I've heard of people keeping bristlenose with shell dwellers with much success tho. I was mainly just talking of Mbunas in my last post. When it comes to Africans, Mbunas are all I've really kept and my expertise is severely lacking with most other Africans.

the best i have found for algae is a vc-10. they thrive on algae. the have enlarged lips in the wild from sucking the algae off rocks. also very quick and if given small hidey holes can out maneuver an mbuna. they are also loner fish unless they are in the mood to mate. so you can keep one in a tank without worrying about aggression.

most africans will eat the algae off the gravel to supplement their diets. the glass is what you have to worry about. keep your tank out of direct sunlight, lessen the amount of time that the lights are on to help slow the growth of algae.

semper fi

The CAE will fit in nicely with the cichlids, but cant say about the oscar.

Try golden sucking loach, I have them in my malawi tank and they never stop munching algae! They get no bother either.

Marshall said:
Try golden sucking loach, I have them in my malawi tank and they never stop munching algae! They get no bother either.
A "golden sucking loach" is a CAE! It's just another name for the golden form.

Alien Anna said:
Marshall said:
A "golden sucking loach" is a CAE! It's just another name for the golden form.
Gold algea eaters are from india, not china, and it is a natural fish, its not some man made color morph of a fish.

Maybe one of you would post the scientific name of this "Gold algae eater". The ones I've seen for sale with that name have definitely been gold CAEs (which is a partial albino version of the regular striped variety). I've also seen gold ottos.

Most reactions

trending

Back