Neat little fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm sorry...but it's not a goby. It doesn't spend that much time on the bottom.

It doesn't really resemble those others enough, either.

Thank you for the suggestions, though.

I'll try to give a little more info on it....it swims mainly at the top and middle levels, but only sleeps on the bottom. In my original post in Tropical Chit Chat, someone posted a pic of a type of killifish and the doby shape was practically identical, except the color wasn't even close. I've been trying to find a brown colored type of killifish, but had no success.

Funny, the stores around here (Petsmart) are pretty good about labeling their fish (more or less correctly :D ) They didn't tell you what this was? How would they know what to charge you? :/

Well, the little fish was the only one they had. They said he was in the bag with the ghost shrimp.

I really liked their pricing system when it came to this...I got the little one for free. :nod: :lol:

Well, one lady said he was a pencilfish and that he was a real delicate fish, and probably wouldn't survive the car ride home. But I looked at pics of pencilfish, and I think my fish isn't slender and stream-line enough to be a pencil fish.

I tried to make the pic a little clearer...maybe that'll help...

Attachments

• mysteryfish3.jpg
    mysteryfish3.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 47
Thank you, put no. It is not any kind of molly, platy, guppy, goby, or puffer. I have all four types of fish in various tanks, and this little guy isn't any of them.

If I may try

Saw some of these yesterday when I Went to Maidenhead.
They were labelled as Checkerboard Barb/Tetras.

But yours looks like a cross between 2 types of Checkerboard.

:huh: let's see.....came in with grass shrimp? :/ Could it be......American Flagfish?Jordanella Floridae????? I think so......Air

Yeah, I pretty sure that's what it is now. Before, all I saw was pictures of male flagfish, and finally today I came across a female. My fishes spots are biggers and more defined than the males, but it came pretty close to the females. I know the flagfish is a type of killifish, but is it belong in the same genus as any other fish?

Does this help you guys out any???

post.jpg

Also,
I found this info. on female AFlag Fish for you:

The females are not as colorful with sides having an drab yellow base color with checkerboard spotting. There is a large spot on the dorsal fin making it easy to identify the female. But on another site, the female really looked nothing like your fish :crazy: :dunno: SORRY!

Silver
:*

Wow Sir Minion........I believe that may be it!!!

If you check out the top fin, the very back of it, there is a black spot on her fish and the one you posted :shifty: . We may have a winner!!

Silver
:*

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back