Nannostomus ID

Kolykaf

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Two months ago I purchased a handful of pencilfish. They were very small and didnā€™t look like any type that I commonly see. I was told that they were trifasciatus. Theyā€™ve since grown a bit, but still donā€™t really look like trifasciatus to me. They lack any of the red that seem to be a hallmark of all the online photos of the species. I guess that there could be color variations in different locales. I was wondering if any Nannostomus aficionados could give me a definitive ID.
IMG_5654.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5650.jpeg
    IMG_5650.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 16
You are correct that they are definitely not N. trifasciatus. I think they are N. digrammus.

Attachments

• Nannostomus digrammus2.jpg
    Nannostomus digrammus2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Nannostomus digrammus4.jpg
    Nannostomus digrammus4.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 14
You are correct that they are definitely not N. trifasciatus. I think they are N. digrammus.
I was torn between digrammus and marilynae. Thanks! Although not particularly colorful, they are quite beautiful fish.

I was torn between digrammus and marilynae. Thanks! Although not particularly colorful, they are quite beautiful fish.

Most of the species in Nannostomus are quite special in one way or another. I acquired four of N. digrammus some years ago, they were mixed in a shipment of wild caught rummynose, and I grabbed them. The employee in the store suggested they were Siamese Algae Eaters. I let that pass. :rofl:

Ah fish stores hey. My lovely n.marginatus were sold to me as trifasciatus...

Yes, Nannostomus digrammus for sure... No doubts...
It does happen quite frequently that fish are sold as being another type.

Most reactions

Back