Myths And Misconceptions Of Keeping A Marine Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Time to try and keep our section on it's toes. This can be a controversial thread, but, discussion is always a good thing when it comes to keeping a successful marine tank. Setting up a marine tank is based on science, but, maintaining a healthy tank is an art. I'll start with a few to get everyone's motor running.

I should regularly dose my tank with iodine, strontium, molybdenum, purple up, etc

I can keep a mandarin in a nano tank

Cyanobacteria arise only in dead areas and it happened because of low flow

My tap water has zero phosphates and zero nitrates so I can use it in my tank

I can put corals in my tank as soon as my tank is cycled

SH

Time to try and keep our section on it's toes. This can be a controversial thread, but, discussion is always a good thing when it comes to keeping a successful marine tank. Setting up a marine tank is based on science, but, maintaining a healthy tank is an art. I'll start with a few to get everyone's motor running.

I should regularly dose my tank with iodine, strontium, molybdenum, purple up, etc

SH

Go on then, I'll have ago and embarras myself

a) No, only if you need to and have tested the current levels.

B) No, feeds mainly on pods, needs an established tank, preferably a refugium

c) Not always, can be part of algae cycle?

d) There are many more trace elements than those listed above.

e) I guess not, some hardy corals can be added to fairly new tanks though?

:blush:

Tangs can be kept in small tanks

Everybody has anemones right?

Marine life can be acclimated quickly

I dont really need a skimmer followed a few weeks later by Why are my expensive corals failing

Lighting is more important than flowrate

SH

Go on then, I'll have ago and embarras myself

a) No, only if you need to and have tested the current levels.

B) No, feeds mainly on pods, needs an established tank, preferably a refugium

c) Not always, can be part of algae cycle?

d) There are many more trace elements than those listed above.

e) I guess not, some hardy corals can be added to fairly new tanks though?

:blush:

Reading the title of the thread is unimportant

Just realised they weren't questions :blush:

Well, I'll state my thoughts on the previous myths before I put a few of my own.

Tangs can be kept in small tanks:
Well, unfortunately, yes. Though it is morally wrong and even cruel, it can be done ( I have seen it on several occasions; but have never done it myself and never will :angel: ).

Everybody has anemones right?: It may come as a surprise to everyone that anemones were once thought of as the hardiest invertebrates available; I have several books (some of them being published fairly recently) that state them as "great beginner invertebrates" and "very hardy and easy to keep". So ten years ago, this myth would be a fact.

Marine life can be acclimated quickly: Once again, yes, they can; I have never acclimated any animal for more than one hour, and the avergage time of acclimation for me is 25-45 minutes. Though it seems 'wrong' to do this, I must comment on how successful it seems to be and how much hardier marine organisms are than most people give them credit for. One such instance is when my Brittle Star's bag fell over in the tank after a mere 5 minutes of acclimation; he survived well up until he was consumed by a Chocolate Chip Star :eek: Another instance is my Lawnmower Blenny, who has survived 5 15-minute acclimation times in a span of a few days because of recurring ammonia spikes (you can read all about it in my boring ol' journal thread). I have actually heard the statement "extended acclimation is pointless because it takes the animals several hours to adapt anyways" a few different times.

I dont really need a skimmer followed a few weeks later by Why are my expensive corals failing: Make sure to tell that to Mr Miagi. :shifty:

Lighting is more important than flowrate: Now this is a myth. :hyper:

I should regularly dose my tank with iodine, strontium, molybdenum, purple up, etc: Myth...!

I can keep a mandarin in a nano tank: Myth. :eek:sama:

Cyanobacteria arise only in dead areas and it happened because of low flow: Myth; and I should know :eek: I have a Cyanobacteria 'infection' that is worse than anyone has ever seen and it often grows on powerhead outputs.

My tap water has zero phosphates and zero nitrates so I can use it in my tank: That wasn't directed at me was it? :lol:

I can put corals in my tank as soon as my tank is cycled: While it's not recommended, certain species can occasionally take the stress of a brand new tank.

Now,
I'll have ago and embarras myself
:shout:

All Triggers will wreak havoc in a reef tank

Canthigaster puffers are always vicious beasts that will wreak havoc in a reef tank

All marine life must be acclimated for at least an hour

Skimmers are as essential as the the aquarium itself

Reverse Osmosis units are 100% essential

Oh dear... what a thread Steelhealr :eek:sama:

-Lynden

Post revoked, almost a year later. :)

Why are my expensive corals failing: Make sure to tell that to Mr Miagi. :shifty:

LOL, So what does this mean Lynden? My expensive corals are failing, or my expesive corals are thriving? :lol: Oh, and BTW, I dont have many expensive corals, just nice specimens that were sold cheap! :lol:

Lynden, these are just sentences, they DONT have answers, and they shouldnt, because its sure to take away the thread into an argument/debate. Please edit your post, or SH will delete it LMAO, just like he did Ter's! :lol: You guys crack me up! :lol:

Mandarin's CANT be kept in Nanos

Propagation requires halides, extra tanks, and a bigger budget.

ok hardly common myths but..........

That little bug on the rock cant kill you

You can make a tank on a budget of £100

Fish and hitchikers with spikes are friendly

Rubbing zoanthids on chips gives them an unbeatable flavour

I would say it is easy to make a tank on a budget of £100. It would take a while, but I can make live rock for around 50-75p per kilo (currently have around 10-15 kg in various systems). One could cycle this with ammonia (bottle or prawn) in a tank that I can get for around £30 (would give a 20-30 gallon range). If a stand is necessary one can be made for about a tenner if you get wood from a timber merchant. So...

Tank: £30
Stand: £10
LR: £10

A couple of second hand powerheads would be about £20 and £20 should buy enough water to fill it up. One can then just use any old light (if one at all) and keep a predatory FOWLR tank for £100 all set up (but no fish).

but for the average person who isnt in to diy and more importantly waiting a lot and who wants something with fish and lighting £100 is a very ambitious bidget

when i said it wouldnt cost much a month later i realise i was really catasrophically wrong

marines are alot harder to keep than fres water fish

nothing in that tank can kill you

getting stung by a bristle worm has the same reaction for all people (trust me it deffinately doesnt) :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back