"mystery Female Disease"

blue_betta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
some may rememeber my thread last year asking about a "mystery female disease" that was killing off my girls. well i had another outbreak untill a couple of months ago..... and ive figured it out.

my plec........ :blink:

in my old set up i had a plec from a small fish, as he got bigger i had an outbrak of this "disease". i got rid of him to a friend wit a bigger tank. the disease stopped.

i got a small plec as part of a "job lot" from a friend who was moving to NZ and had to get rid of his tank. as he got bigger, my females started comming down with the same "disease" again. they almost were wiped out completely. then it struck me... the plecs come up for air and as the dive down again they turn sharply and slap the surface of the water with their tails. during the day/lights on this isnt a problem, the bettas can keep outa the way. at night (when tyhe plecs are more active) the betta sleep near the surface, and take a beating. this led to internal injuries leading to infections and dropsy and death. i moved the plec to his own tank a couple of months back and the "mystery disease" has stopped :lol:

who'd a thunk it!!!!!

Huh that is interesting! kinda makes sense too! did you have a plec in with your girls bronze?

Most reactions

Back