Mysterious white bump on my male guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tintin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi.

I've noticed this evening that my male fan-tailed guppy has a small white raised blob - no bigger than 1mm attached to his dorsal fin. Its the only one there and it is definitely on his fin rather than his body. It looks fairly inoccuous. No weeping/redness/etc. His behaviour appears normal and he doesn't appear to be aware of it.

Anyone got any idea what it could be?

The tank is a recent upgrade and is still cycling (although I did transfer a lot of the substrate form the old established tank.) Parameters as of yesterday were:

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 1ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
Water temp - 81/27

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TT.

If you have no scaless fish maybe add some salt to the tank, you could also give him a salt dip to see if that takes care of it.

'Fraid not. My Corys and catfish would have a problem with that.

I appreciate the advice though but I would like to know what it is i'm treating.

TT.

Is it a blob or a bump.

Hmmm. I would say its a blob. -_-

Given the floppy nature of the Male guppy's dorsal fin it looks like this thing is ust hanging on. I don't think its got any bigger in the past 24 hours and it is still the same colour.

Wierd.

TT.

Sorry to bump this subject but I'm still none the wiser and wondered if it could be cancer? Has anyone got any experience of this with guppies?

I'm still convinced its not fungus but i'm treating the tank with Pimafix anyway to see if its has any effect.

Any more advice?

Just as an update, the blob seems to have all but vanished in the week that i've been treating it with Pimafix. Whatever it was, it looks like its gone for now.

=)

TT.

Glad to hear that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back