My Water Stats = Cycling?

Well, not pullin' your chain, its down to 2 ppm.

Should I wait a day to see if it gets lower rather then super loading it?

-OTIS

-OTIS

is it down to 2PPM naturally or after a water change? Id leave it until it goes to 1PPM ish then top back up :)

-OTIS

is it down to 2PPM naturally or after a water change? Id leave it until it goes to 1PPM ish then top back up :)

Naturally.

Will do, I'll add more tomorrow after checking.

-OTIS

Just did today's 30% WC on the 55.

Will post readings later.

-OTIS

Ammonia in 55 is <.25ppm with no Nitrites.

If I cycle my 10 gallon before the 55, would the fish be alright in the ten gallon for the time it takes to cycle to 55?

-OTIS

Well, the other day I went to HomeDepot to get some lumbner to build myself another stand, this time for the 10gallon.

So I get my lumber, know what lengths I need and figure, hey, they have a laser guided blade, nice long roller table, and a hell of a rotary saw, going to be better then my cuts.

WRONG!!!! THE ONLY THING THIS GUY DID IS TAKE MY MONEY AND MAKE IT WORTHLESS!!!!

Not a single piece is the size it is supposed to be, honestly I'm livid, I had planned it all out, got everything I needed, and some incompetent f***ed it all up. I wish I could go just yell at him or hit him or something, how do you be so incompetent and unwilling to DO YOUR JOB!!!!

And you know what, I am unemployed and don't feel bad about it because if they are employing such scum that can't do their job, screw em.

It's simple, measure twice, cut once, don't just throw it all away.......

-OTIS

Sorry for the rant.

Did a 30% WC in the 55 gallon.

-OTIS

Sorry about your bad board cuts at the home depot!

The Fish-In Cycle on the 55 US gallon seems to be going ok, I've not seen you report any ammonia or nitrite going above 0.25ppm. I'd probably let even a little more water go out during the gravel cleaning just to get in practice for later in case the spikes get bigger!

The Fishless Cycle on the 10 US gallon (on Day 3 now I think?) also seems to be going ok. You can leave it until the ammonia gets all the way down to zero ppm before you re-dose more ammonia. And you only ever dose ammonia at the same hour of the day, to help set up a pattern that will be easier to follow.

~~waterdrop~~

Yeah I was a little heated earlier. Oh well.

Lesson learned if you want something done do it.

Anyways, yeah I have been doing gravel vacuums during WC partly just because Oscar is such a mess.

The 10 gallon has gone to 2ppm and I can go by the posts to see when I added the ammonia.

Thanks for stickin by.

-OTIS

OK so the 10 gallon is about 1.5ppm ammonia, now do I keep feeding ammonia once the nitrite spike occurs?

-OTIS

OK so the 10 gallon is about 1.5ppm ammonia, now do I keep feeding ammonia once the nitrite spike occurs?

-OTIS

Yer on the 24th hr :) eventually you will add ammonia on the 24th hr - 12 hrs later the ammonia will be 0, then the tank will be ammonia less for the remaining 12 hrs before the dosing time comes around again. Eventually the nitrite will match this being 0 after 12 hrs along with the ammonia.

After a week of having 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite - 12 hrs after the dosing time your done :-

Well that's good news, or it would be, if I hadn't broken my 10 gallon trying to move it..........

It's ok though, I had my buckets near and got the water out before it went everywhere and all that.

I had an extra, well still have one more, 10 gallon from lizards and such in the past. Cleaned one out and set it all back up. Added 32 drops to try and get back to 4ppm. Will test in a little while.

-OTIS

Well that's good news, or it would be, if I hadn't broken my 10 gallon trying to move it..........

It's ok though, I had my buckets near and got the water out before it went everywhere and all that.

I had an extra, well still have one more, 10 gallon from lizards and such in the past. Cleaned one out and set it all back up. Added 32 drops to try and get back to 4ppm. Will test in a little while.

-OTIS

Nightmare!!! so all of these tests are from a tank you have just broken :-( nightmare im pleased for you about having the buckets at hand!! god if my tank burst or broke id be screwed with 190L going everywhere and i live in a top floor flat!! I think id be off the xmas card list although they are concrete floors so if im quick enough damage could be limited but water has its ways of getting places!

I think its the gf id have to worry about more than anything haha!

Haha yeah I was freaking out, I was like, OK I'll get up quick and get my buckets or something, but what if 10 GALLONS GOES EVERYWHERE!!!! Lol, this is a platform framed house so not so water tight.

-OTIS

The 55 gallon is still cycling as usual with 50% WC every other day. No fish show any signs of ammonia poisoning and have been examining closely.

10 GALLON UPDATE

So I had been letting it do its thing, not really testing just giving it a few days. Test today, about 1ppm ammonia and 5ppm+ Nitrite.

YAY

So I added another 32 drops of 10% ammonia and that should get it to around 5ppm.

Now how long does it normally take for the nitrite spike to go away?

-OTIS

Most reactions

Back