My tetra is almost dead HELP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Geddavis

Reaction score
i put 3 tetras in a 10 gallon with my beta. Everything was fine for the first week, but then one morning I woke up to see everyone in the tank had icy. I imidetly did a 50% water change and started dosing ich-x. After 2 days everyone seemed better but the day after that my tetra was stuck to the filter on its side still breathing but almost dead and the other tetra and Betta were also very slowmooving and coverd with ich. My water tests came back normal what should I do

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture of the fish?

If the fish had whitespot (Ich) when you got them, it should have appeared after a couple of days not 1 week.

If the tank is newly set up and has a new filter, there is a possibility the water quality went off and had some ammonia in. This would have been diluted with the water change.

I would do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week and post some pics of the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Whats the water temp in the tank?

Male bettas are not community fish, so this is or will be a source of severe stress for tetras or any other fish, and stress is the direct cause of ich. The Betta may stress the tetras, or the tetras may stress the Betta, or both.

Just so you know for the future, you also need more than three tetras as these are shoaling fish requiring groups of at least six but preferably more. There is no room here for that many fish even without the Betta.

Male bettas are not community fish, so this is or will be a source of severe stress for tetras or any other fish, and stress is the direct cause of ich. The Betta may stress the tetras, or the tetras may stress the Betta, or both.

Just so you know for the future, you also need more than three tetras as these are shoaling fish requiring groups of at least six but preferably more. There is no room here for that many fish even without the Betta.
stress is not the direct cause of ich, ich is a parasite, not a fish condition caused by stress by instead a parasite that eats off of living fish and breeds.

stress is not the direct cause of ich,
However stress suppresses the fishes immune system making it more susceptible to illness.

yes, but stress is not the cause of ich, only the likely reason that the fish got it.

The ich parasite, like many other pathogens, can be present but fish do not succumb unless stressed. Therefore, stress is the direct cause of ich, just as it is for about 95% of all fish diseases; it might be better to say ich is attributed to stress, as stress is what results in the outbreak beecause the fish are not able to fight it off as they would otherwise do. This is why it is so important to prevent as much stress as possible. Ich is frequently obvious in new fish acquisitions because they are so severely stressed.

Last edited:
I agree with Byron. Ich can be in your tank and no one be affected if they are healthy and strong. Ich is directly related to stress. Not saying that a healthy fish can’t get it. You normally see it when new fish are introduced to a tank which stresses them out.

The ich parasite, like many other pathogens, can be present but fish do not succumb unless stressed. Therefore, stress is the direct cause of ich, just as it is for about 95% of all fish diseases; it might be better to say ich is attributed to stress, as stress is what results in the outbreak beecause the fish are not able to fight it off as they would otherwise do. This is why it is so important to prevent as much stress as possible. Ich is frequently obvious in new fish acquisitions because they are so severely stressed.
I agree with Byron. Ich can be in your tank and no one be affected if they are healthy and strong. Ich is directly related to stress. Not saying that a healthy fish can’t get it. You normally see it when new fish are introduced to a tank which stresses them out.
i knwo what you maen, but technically it is not stress that causes it, it is the fact that they breed that causes the Ich to be present.

Anyway

Ich is easy to treat in most cases with temperature and maybe some salt.

The whitespot parasite has to be introduced into an aquarium for fish to catch it. The reason it appears in tanks shortly after new fish are added is because the fish or water they are in has whitespot parasites. These are introduced into the aquarium and spend a few days multiplying before appearing as white dots on the fish.

If people have whitespot in their tanks it will normally affect the fish very quickly and is fatal unless treated.

Heat and salt are very effective in dealing with Ich provided the fish can handle it, 30°C/86°F is usually well tolerated by most fish and at this temp the ICH life cycle is sped up and they cant reproduce, salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon disrupts some fluid regulation thing in Ich but at the end of the day it means death to Ich.

At this temp with salt you should see results in 18 to 24 hours

Last edited:
The whitespot parasite has to be introduced into an aquarium for fish to catch it. The reason it appears in tanks shortly after new fish are added is because the fish or water they are in has whitespot parasites. These are introduced into the aquarium and spend a few days multiplying before appearing as white dots on the fish.

If people have whitespot in their tanks it will normally affect the fish very quickly and is fatal unless treated.
and even when you are treating it , the white spot may kill the fish that originally had it because they are the weakes fish in the tank and they are more likely to die from stress and a compromised immune system.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back