My Shell Dweller Journey

sounds like good progress!

I just wondered why the rocks need holes drilled in them?

Good job phoning wharf, if you've never been there before you're in for a treat. I live in kent and actually visited on the way back from a holiday in the peak district a few weeks ago and was blown away. The fish house (separate from the main shop) is bigger than my actual house! they have a giant gourami in a huge display tank that must be about 2 feet long, along with some enormous catfish and stingrays... They have a whole wall full of tanganyikan tanks :) Just make sure you don't park on yellow lines as apparently traffic wardens patrol regularly.

Sounds exciting, especially the little one (almost 3 years) will love it. He is obsessed with fish :)

The shop where I bought it from told me to drill holes in the rock. Basically to give them more hiding places and something to swim through. If it isn't necessary I will just try and stack them up with some gaps between them.

Tadaaa! I can reveal the tank!

I haven't drilled holes in the rocks, hope the nooks and crannies are enough for the julis. Filter is nicely hidden behind the rocks, but the flow can still get into the tank. Also really pleased about the hidden airline, my son says it looks like a volcano.

For now I have put a rock that I had anyway as a divider between the two shell beds, because I hope that one pair of the shellies will claim territory left of it and the other on the right. If you think the idea is good, I can get more of this rock just to make the 'wall' a little bigger.

Is the lighting enough? The room was in total darkness when I took the photos, usually it will get sunlight during the day.

Please let me know what you think and if there is anything that needs changing. Still got some nitrite (ammonia disappears within 12 hours), so a few more weeks cycling until it is ready for the fish, but shouldn't take too long.

Front view
7-2.jpg

View from my bed
6-2.jpg

Shellies area
3-7.jpg

Right side of the divider rock
4-8.jpg

Left side of the divider rock
5-4.jpg

Rocks for julis
2-8.jpg

Special blue mode of the lighting
1-10.jpg

Looks spot on! I would maybe swap the divider rock for a bigger one and break up one of the big rocks into 3 or 4 smaller ones so you can have more of a gradual divide into the shell bed if you see what I mean ... But looks like a superb start. If you wanted a bit of greenery you could pit some java fern in there attached to a rock but that's down to personal preference. Tangs prefer and look much better (thier colours pop more) under less light so would keep the light you have. Can't wait to see it stocked up, will be a great tank to watch! :)

Thanks, that's good to hear :)

I still have a huge piece of the big brown rock left (the ones I bought the other day), so will try and break it up into a few smaller pieces as a divider.

Yes, I was wondering where to put java fern, so will add that to the rock.

I am really pleased, can't believe that two weeks ago I had no clue what shell dwellers were and now I have a tank almost ready for them.

Looking good bud. Nice rock pile in there, going to be a nice tank to watch. If you're going for multies you're eventually going to need more shells in there LOL....... :good:
Nice tank set up, job well done.............................................. :good:

Cheers, Sean

what sort of julies are you planning on getting? I have transcriptus and the blue edging to their fins looks absolutely stunning under the blue moonlight :) It's like someone has dipped them in that uv reactive paint you see in nightclubs hehe

Thanks, Sean. Definitely no multis anymore, will go for the golden occelatus.

Lufbramatt, Wharf Aquatics has the following:

Julidochromis dickfeldi
Julidochromis marlieri
Julidochromis regani "Kipili"

From googling I like them all, but will see what I fancy when I am there. I don't think they have transcriptus, but will check on the day I pick them up.

I think you are going to need more shells....

Check out my tanks to give you some idea. My tanks

Have you decided what species you are going with? I can HIGHLY recommend L.multifasciatus. Multis are just as capable of defending their turf/fry as the larger species, but they get along with other much better.

The larger shellies like to have 1-3 shells per fish and multis need a massive pile of shells. Shellis in general do great in groups of 6+(which I HIGHLY recommend). I use these shells exclusively http://www.amazon.com/Chantifrais-Escargot-Shells-36-Count-Box/dp/B000FAIR5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336366137&sr=8-1

And be careful, if your Julies spawn they will literally run your tank. My J.marlieri take up 3/4 of my 4' 55g....

Selfless advertising: I have some L.ornatipinnis "kigoma" babies (1-3cm) and J.marlieri ("brundi" I think) babies (2-5cm) that I am willing to part with.

Edit: Almost forgot if you want something for the top/middle water column take a look at Cyprichromis!!(you tank should be minimum of 4' for them as they like to swim in wide open spaces) keep the in a group of no less than 8 (2M, 6F) you will have more babies than you know what to do with!

You could also keep A.compressiceps instead of the Julies, which might be a better idea (shellies are excellent parents, you wont loose much fry to them).

Edit #2: Also before I forget, it is IMPERATIVE that you only keep 1 species from any genus you choose. Don't go putting A.comps with A.calvs or J.marlieri with J.dickfeldi or L.brevies with L.ornatipinnis for example. They can and very well could cross breed. And don't go thinking that it would be fun to hybridize, because the offspring will look like hell, you will be shunned from the cichlid community and there is a chance that if another keeper gets their hands on said offspring; can contaminate captive breeding populations.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, make sure the rocks go in before the sand (which it doesn't look like you did; excuse me if i'm wrong) because the fish have a tenancy to dig, and if they dig at the base of a rock sitting on top of the sand the whole pile is going to fall, possibly breaking your tank.

Okay, your tank is BEAUTIFUL! i Have wanted shellies for ahwile and i bombed Shelldwellers.com with so many questions its crazy lol. So your tank looks perfect to me for one setup i wanted, this is what I would do. I would buy some more shells first, about one more batch of 15. Then i would get 3 pairs of Multi's. Then after they are nice and comfy, id get 3 Julidochromis Dickfeldi. Your Multi's will soon have a thriving colony and your Dickfeldi will be king of the rocks :D Hope i helped! Looks EXCELLENT! :good:

That's one fine looking tank!!!

As someone said above me: adding smaller rocks in front of the pile can create a more gradual look.
I hope the divider rock works (maybe bit bigger), but remember that Tang fishies normally rearrange the tank to their own liking.
Everything they can move, they will move!

can't wait for more pics :hyper:

Thanks all for your comments. It is good to hear that I am on the right track and any advice is always welcome.

First of all a couple of updated pictures. We have broken up a spare big rock and added some java moss. This is now the divider between the shellbeds. I will try and get hold of a bit more to put in front of the big rock pile on the left for a more gradual look.

DSCF1551Large.jpg

DSCF1548Large.jpg

I have definitely decided on the following stocking:

2 pairs of golden Lamprologus Occelatus
3 Julidochromis (1 male 2 female), can't decide which one yet, but if Wharf Aquatics has transcriptus I will go for them otherwise dickfeldi.

If I am right, occelatus will be happy with the shells already in and bury the ones that are not needed. Please tell me if I am wrong, but this is what I found out on the net.

Gregswimm, thanks for the info. The rock seems stable, but will make sure it is dug more into the sand.

I was actually hoping to add something else as top swimmers, but researching Cyprichromis they get huge (6 inches) and my tank is too small for a shoal of them. I have been researching this morning, but can't find anything else that would go into the top area. I first thought a pair of neolamprologus leleupi would be suitable, but then I read they would harass the shellies and their babies. Any other suggestions that I might have missed?

3 Julidochromis (1 male 2 female), can't decide which one yet, but if Wharf Aquatics has transcriptus I will go for them otherwise dickfeldi.

You would be better off buying 6 julies up front, seeing which ones pair up and taking the remaining 4 back. With most Julidochromis species the female is larger/dominant. The male takes care of the fry/eggs while the female defends the territory. I would also keep the rock pile how you have it, a radical change between rock and open water will help define territories.

Leleupi can be a good choice instead of Julies. They are both going to harass your shellies to some degree. I find that a bit of harassment is good for your fish, it gives them a reason to defend their territory/brood.

You would be better off buying 6 julies up front, seeing which ones pair up and taking the remaining 4 back. With most Julidochromis species the female is larger/dominant. The male takes care of the fry/eggs while the female defends the territory. I would also keep the rock pile how you have it, a radical change between rock and open water will help define territories.

Leleupi can be a good choice instead of Julies. They are both going to harass your shellies to some degree. I find that a bit of harassment is good for your fish, it gives them a reason to defend their territory/brood.

I don't really like giving 4 back, so will hope that two of the three will pair up. Or maybe get four and hope for the best. Don't know :unsure:

I was thinking weleupi could go in addition to julis, but I think the harassment level will be too heigh for the shellies. It's just a shame that the whole top will basically be empty, but I'd rather have happy fish.

Most reactions

Back